Thread: Can't open SCSI issue with Powermac 9500

Default Can't open SCSI issue with Powermac 9500

Hello,

Machine is a Powermac 9500 with 512 MB RAM with a XLR8 Machspeed Carrier ZIF G3 card.

After installing OS 9.1, I attempted to install OSX Tiger with CDs using Xpostfacto. Unfortunately, after the first reboot, I get the "Can't open SCSI..." message.

What does this mean and how do I go about remedying this issue? The hard drive and CD-Rom drive on the 9500 are both running from the onboard SCSI connector. All terminations are in order...last device in chain (Hard drive) is terminated.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Welcome to the site!

I don't know that I would attempt to install Tiger on a 9500 with so little RAM, and the stock SCSI. Even with a G3 it's gonna be really sluggish.

It's been a while since I did the XPF thing, and I've only done it on a Beige G3. That was dicey enough until I replaced the stock CD with a Pioneer DVD. It ended up with a Tempo Trio, an ATI 9200, a 466 ZIF, and 768 RAM. It was OK, but my 400mhz/1GB/100GB 7K Pismo would kick it's ass on everything but video, and that's damn close.

Speaking of video what card are you using? Most older PCI video cards are a no-go with Tiger, and the 9200 won't do 9.1. I tried. Gotta be 9.2.

You may have to clone the OS onto the SCSI drive from another Mac. Even then you're likely to have quite an adventure to get it stable.

You might want to read some of the "adventure threads" over here. before you continue on this journey.

Wink

I went from OS 9.2 into OS X. Only tried XPF on a 7500 G3/500 it never worked I got tired of it ... So I bought a used DA. Did ya check these also.

Hello,

I had no problems installing OSX on other oldworld ROM machines using Xpostfacto using the onboard SCSI controller. What would cause the "can't open SCSI..." message upon bootup in OS X?? This strikes me as strange since it only occurred on the 9500.

Thank you for answers so far. I have checked the xpostfacto and other forums put forth without much success.

-Ken

Arrow take evasive action. run the other way.

This isn't what you want to hear, but I strongly recommend that you trade the 9500 for a system with built-in USB if you want to play with OSX. The 9500 is a great OS 9 machine, but a dismal OSX machine.

My two 9500s and ExPostFacto never gave me an experience worth recommending. I agree that a Pismo gives a much more fun. IIRC, I spent over $1200 over Fall 2000-Spring 2001 souping up two 9500s and came away wishing I had bought an AGP mac with 3 PCI instead.

It was a long time ago, but I remember CLEARLY that OSX+9500 installations were never dependable; I'd install OSX and reboot one day fine, and the next day the machine was unbootable, requiring a complete CUDA reset even to reinstall 9.1. IIRC in four months of dogged testing, installed only once in a manner that appeared to be stable.

And the performance was dismal, whether under OS 9.1 or when OSX was working properly. Even using a striped RAID of two LVD 160 drives on the 9500, the disk IO was notably faster for multitrack audio on my Powerbook 5300 and Pismo. I could record & playback 8 simultaneous tracks on the 9500 compared to over 12 simultaneous tracks on my Pismo (using a PCI expansion chassis with the same PCI audio IO cards).

The sole advantage the 9500 has is 6 PCI slots, and that wasn't a real advantage when you realize there was no built-in video or USB or Firewire. Even when I needed two digital audio interface cards and fast LVD SCSI, a USB+Firewire card, the PCI Video, and a PCI ATA controller were needed to bring the machine to real usefulness. A 3-Slot PCI Macintosh with AGP, USB, Firewire and a and a faster frontside bus would have been less expense and more compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    the 9200 won't do 9.1. I tried. Gotta be 9.2.
    Can you please be more explicit regarding 9.1 on the Radeon 9200 PCI? Specifically,
    - No video at all
    or
    - Yes 2D video, but No 3D acceleration

For example, my Radeon 7000 PCI was not officially compatible with 7.x, but testing under 7.6.1, I found that the 7000 gave me unaccelerated but usable 2D video.
    Last edited by ricercar; 11-11-2006 at 03:37 AM. Reason: edited for clarity and detail.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Quote Originally Posted by ricercar

Can you please be more explicit regarding 9.1 on the Radeon 9200 PCI? Specifically,
    - No video at all
    or
    - Yes 2D video, but No 3D acceleration

For example, my Radeon 7000 PCI was not officially compatible with 7.x, but testing under 7.6.1, I found that the 7000 gave me unaccelerated but usable 2D video.
    It boots if you remove the 9200 extensions, but there is no acceleration whatsoever. Not even 2D. It was unuseable IMHO. Too slow, and choppy. I tried every combination of older ATI extensions, and got nothing. There might be a workaround at the code level, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge.

I had great success on my 8600 keeping one SCSI drive on the MB bus, and booting X into drives connected to a PCI scsi card. Make sure you set the drive on the MB bus to be the helper drive in xPostFacto. Otherwise I had the exact same symptoms (can't open scsi...grrrr!). If you don't want to buy a host adaptor, try a second drive on the MB scsi chain (with os9 installed) and set that to be the helper drive for the X boot drive.

Note in the post above though, that the stock scsi is very slow. If you want to put the 9500 into regular service running X invest in a scsi card. Like night and day.

Yes we know we're into old tech and nostagia here people (9500, 8600, 9600) but done right they are still quick, stable and useable under os x.

Have a look at my post regarding my setup
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22892