Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad news for hazkell ....

Cool Bad news for hazkell ....

Dig this, a couple of weeks ago I decided to finish a workbench that looks like it was also a piece of furnature.
    I had been working on it for over two years, because of money and bieng in an apartment building with quite a few neibors, the sawing, hamering and painting was done on the weekends ..... while the manager was gone.

Finally was almost finished last week.
    I had been using a very bright worklight.
    One moring I woke and was planning on getting all the small stuff out of the way.
    Then, when opening my eyes there was a large black spot that I couldn't see out of.

Freaked out of course, went and looked in the mirror.
    My right eye was totolly bloodshot....... thats no biggy!
    The spot was still there after afew days, but could kind-of see throgh the black ...so decided that it must be related to haveing been from looking into the bright worklight too many times and would eventually go away.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Turns out that it is a detached retina ...which is in the back part of your eye.
    Don't want to make anyone puke .... but does anyone know someone that has had this happen.

I have to catch an early buss in a few hours, go to a town thats about seventy five mlies away for surgery.
    I know I'll be awake while the surgery is performed...... but will be super numb.

The reason I'm posting this is ...... I forgot to ask my Doctor, how do they get the retina to adhear to where it came loose and whats to prevent it from comming loose again!

Anyone have any idea?
    I know they go inside the eye and use somekind of balloon to push it back in place .... but how do they make it stick! .....epoxy ....superglue .... staples or sixteen penny nails ?

Don't know if I'll loose my sight in the eye ......for a few days,
    I know I'll be able too deal with the outcome no matter what.
    Maybe have an excuse to get that seventy inch monitor I've always wanted.

If everything goes well I should be home Saturday afternoon.
    One of the first things I'll be going is to check the latest news at gurus.

One last thing ...... GOOD LUCK ....TO ME...... FOR ME ..... FROM ME!

If things don't work out .... I'll be signing on as BLINDMAN HAZKELL ..... that is if I can find the keyboard!

Gettin late, gotta go go go!
    later, h

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Our good wishes go with you...

I have heard of this and I don't think it's uncommon but it's certainly not minor.
    Damien,

Man that's some scary stuff.

Wishing you a full, and speedy recovery.

Unhappy

prayers headed your way. Think good thoughts.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

H. this is scary!

Best Whishes and take care

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

haz

Take care of yoursef. Good thoughts to you. - Randy

Lightbulb

Here is some information on "detached retina" from Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detached_retina

God bless.

here's to quick and speedy recovery. All the best, Eric

Haz,

Post back here soonest and let us know how it went!!! And jump on your doctors to spend the time explaining everything, every last detail. Then let us know what he said. Writing it out and talking it over with friends who care will surely help.

I know some shooters who had problems with detached retinas from shooting the big 50 cal stuff. I'll se if I can learn anything from their experiences. Be nice to know if a previous experience is to raise the likelihood of a repeat performance.

Look forward to hearing back. You have our prayers for a successful day. Not sure I would want to ride back 70 miles after the experience.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Good luck Haz. And what Rick said. I'd sure like to know how they make it stay re-attached. Let us know.

Dave.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Talking

I love you guys ....you make me want to cry!
    I have never known anypeople like you guys.
    I didn't want to ride back on a bus, but there wasn't any trains that go to or from the two citys.
    Good news is .... the surgry went as planned and it's over.
    Took about one and a half hours.
    Spent the night in the hospital because my Doctor wanted too check it out before I started home.
    Have to go back next week .... doctors orders.
    I have ALL the information plus more on the retina.
    To make things short at this time .... to make it regrow in the same sport They freeze part of the menbrane to keep it in place long enough so they can use the lazer, then fill the eyr with a Nitrouse Oxide bubble.
    That pushes it up againts the wall of the eye.
    I failed too mention ...... before any of this can be done ... the gel is removed
    from the eye ..... DANM!

I was given the option of being awake or bieng put heavily downunder.
    I didn't want to hear that sucking sound like sipping though a straw then trying for the last drop....... danm double danm!
    All I remember of the operation was " good- night mr. long .... next sound I heard was mr. long, would you like something to eat?"
    I didn't even get a good dream started!
    Any way I'll get back on this thread in a few days and can explain in greater detail ..... the adventure!
    I have to keep my nose pointed twards the floor 95& for the next 8 weeks.
    The bubble slowly dissovles and the eye fills up again with natuarl fluids at the same time.
    I can't edit this post at this time ....I'm too sedated.
    Got to go back to bed....... NOW!
    h

Thumbs up

Great to hear.

Take it easy, take care of yourself. See you when you are healed up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Smile What he said

Keep us posted (pun intended) on your progress.

Yeah this is a pretty cool bunch here if I do say so myself. You may want to avoid that whole crying thing for a while though.

Pretty scary problem. Glad you are on the road to recovery. k

Talking FWIW dept.

Saw my doctor a few days ago.
    Here we are almost two months into this ....... vison at this moment is 20/60 ....... and NO floaters..... I'm in good shape.
    Be about another month for full recovery.
    Won't have 20/20, but I can live with that.... versus a black void.
    later, h

Thumbs up Great Christmas present.

Happy to hear it.

Cool Keep up the good work

That is great haz. Now just remember 1 more month. I was the guy who took his cast off thinking it works, feels good but it was still crooked and never healed right.

Don't mess with them eyes. Good luck.

Right on. Heck with that waiting another month though. Time to partay, Booze, billiards, women and some cool tunes. All hours of the day and night. Bring it on baby.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

LOL@Rick.

Good to see you're on the mend Haz.

No BB guns for Christmas though OK?

Cool

You guys are TOO MUCH!
    Just remimber this ....."YOU GOT TO FIGHT TO PPPPP .. AAAAA .. RRRRR................TEEEEEEEEEEEE!."