Thread: Erratic internet speed with internal modem

Default Erratic internet speed with internal modem

So my new consternation:

Setting my beloved--but disdained by AOL--9600/450 aside, I used an early little iMac G4 on the net to upgrade my AOL "experience" to more modern times & version for like a month. Internal modem & telephone line were used and every time I logged on at 49,333 with very few if any crashes. AOL & crashes have always gone hand in hand for me.

Then I procurred (got reamed on eBay, actually) a QuickSilver 933. The screwing aside, it is with rarity, using the exact same telephone cable/line, that I ever see 49,333 with this G4 and it's internal modem. I'm lucky to get 48,000. I'm lucky to get connected with the first attempt. It's not unusual to go a couple of tries or more before it hooks up with "success" and thinks I'm happy to putt around at 32,000, or maybe 45,677 or 47, 677. The very few times I have connected at 49,333 have ended within minutes with a crash.

The OS on this thing is 10.4.7. (I use the current Disk Warrior and OnyX, along with disk utility, by the way.) I reloaded AOL, and no change. I replaced the modem, and no change. DSL won't be happening for me anytime soon. Before I get out the baseball bat, anyone have an idea on what I could do?

Thanks, Dean in CO

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Dial up modems speed up and fall back as needed, usually for all kinds if reasons like the wind blowing... too many birds on the wire etc. The point is that if you connect at 49333 speed 2 seconds later you are running a different speed maybe faster maybe slower and 2 seconds after that a third speed and so on. A better indicator would be to download a file and see if it comes in acceptably fast.
    Damien,

Well said Damien,
    My 2 cents...
    I would first suspect phone lines ( are you paying a monthly phone line maintance fee? ) , and next AOL itself.
    "AOL & crashes have always gone hand in hand for me."
    Me Too and So True !!!
    I left AOL years ago for that reason.
    Can't imagine why anybody would continue with ther prices and lack of service.

Dave

Thumbs down

Dito that!
    My experiences with AOL ............Double crap!
    After four years of BS, having it crash and need to call for sevice, bieng routed to India for service, finally beng told that it's a Macintosh problem, all I can say is ..... I can stop the questions ...... where's me BAT.

Depending on ones patients it comes down to .....spend a lttle more and aviod AOL ....then you get to deal with some different problems.

GOOD LUCK!
    h

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell
    .....spend a lttle more and aviod AOL ....
    Or spend a little less. I was on dial-up for years at like 9 bucks a month and it was solid. I think it was dialupforless.com......but I can't recall now. Messed with several over the years and they were all fine and reliable.

Some had no Mac support.....funny.....nothing to suppport. Give me the info, and I put it in the little boxes. PPP is PPP, at least last I checked. My favorite was walking a guy through from SBC support in India who had never seen anything but a Win computer. He was happliy surprised to find that other platforms have familiar web browsers and what not. Sounded like he was grinning ear to ear and just could not wait to tell his buddies he helped with a Mac. Apparently they support non-Win computers from a division in a different country.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Talking

I am currently paying $6.99 monthly for dialup.
    Check my email address for the provider if your interested.
    Of course include my name as a referral so I get a free month HaHa !

Dave