Thread: Oh my OS 9

Default Oh my OS 9

Well I've done it again...... The Giga dual 1.6 is giving me fits. I am just guessing that is the problem. I had added another SATA drive on the DA, replaced the old kingston RAM and now have matched Guru RAM. I did backup everything, using SUPERDUPER (which worked well, but this also could have added to the problem). APPLEJACKED, repaired permissions.

But the problem is now I can't boot onto OS 9. Yes, the multi-processor folders have all been taken out, unless the computer can't search and find them. All of the OS 9 Folders are not blessed. If I go to classic mode it opens an that folder IS blessed...but I can't boot from it either.

If you have a suggestion I'd gladly try it! Thanks

Open the Gigadesigns Updater app, check enable OS9 booting, and re-run the firmware patch. On startup make sure you keep the programmer's button in until after the long tone.

Okay I will try that again. It mentions that the screen needs to be Purple and notes the update. I haven't gotten that before and the first time I booted in to openfirmware, that's from holding the programers button down too long.

I just found this about blessing OS 9 so I'll post for all the world to see:
    Re-bless the System Folder.
    If your computer is not recognizing the system software, the System
    ˝re-blessed.ţ This helps the computer recognize which System Folder
    1 Start up your computer from the software install CD.
    See Chapter 3, ˝Starting Up From a CD.ţ
    2 Open the System Folder.
    3 Double-click the System suitcase.
    4 After the System suitcase opens, close the suitcase and System Folder
    your computer.
    If this doesn═t work, then try the following:
    1 Drag the System suitcase and Finder out of the System Folder.
    2 Close the System Folder.
    3 Put the System suitcase and Finder back into the System Folder.
    Though I seem to be the only one that has this happen

I've had it happen to me a couple times. The last time was after an OF reset, and re-running the Giga Updater did the trick.

Well, I've tried it twice. The first time it went to openfirmware, then I booted and got the lovely grey screen. I restarted Tiger and repeated the process, got the long tone and a startup chime (really a bong) still no OS9. If I didn't love the speed of this Giga I'd move back to the 533s. I try again. I was thinking that I've got another DP 533 sitting here and maybe I should move the SATA drive to it and rebless the OS9 system.

Is it possible that I should uninstall and then reinstall the Giga updater?

One more time.....

Thanks

The first time it happened was after I reassembled the Mac after my cooling mods. I ended up wiping the drive, and restoring from a saved disk image backup.

This stuff gets wierd sometimes when you upset it's equalibrium.

OK so I didn't know how to spell multiprocessor, I do now. There are none of those rascals around, launch Giga updater......restart, long tone and then the startup bong. I let go of the programers button at the bong. Should I hold it longer? I never got an update message on my screen.

I hold down the button until the long tone stops. I only saw the purple screen the first time I installed the Giga. Haven't seen it since, but 9 booting is a go.

Here's my take.

While holding the power button AND the program button, heard the tone (no chime).
    Watched the power button blink on/off ....let go of the power button.
    Then reboot.
    Then installed the extension file.
    Took me, I beleave three or four trys.

Check the last two pages of my processor thread for better information.

Good luck, h

I think it must be a Seritek, nonmatched SATA drives, Giga, complication. Voodo seems to have worked. Removed the SATA drives, placed them in the other DP 533, re-blessed the OS9 and that went well.

Replaced the SATA drives in the hotrod DA w/ Giga and nolonger blessed. However the OS9 on the ATA drive was Blessed. Booted of it and I'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks for the imput.