Thread: B&W Startup Woes

Default B&W Startup Woes

I have a G3 B&W running OS 10.3.9. I start it by pushing the power key on the keyboard. 50% of the time it will boot without the chime. Other times it will not boot and I have to cut the power and start all over again; then it may boot.

I have reset using the Cuda buttons but it doesn't help.

Any thoughts anybody?

Hello russelljr1,
    Sorry you are having problems but more info is needed.
    What Rev. B/W, Have you replaced the PRAM battery recently, what HD...
    Just for starters.

Dave

Tongue

have you installed "applejack"?
    If not, do so, boot into "safe mode" ........ then run applejack!

good luck, h

I have the Rev 2 B&W and did change the PRAM battery. I have a Maxtor 6E040L0 as the boot drive.

What is "applejack"?

Read the facts and help thread!
    h

This will take you there and then you will know Applejack

AppleJack is a great tool, but may not help here, as it only really cleans your OS, which loads up late in the boot process, after a series of other processes happen. Still good to have, and good to run after hard shut downs.

Can you give exact detail as to what happens and (what doesn't) when it doesn't boot. Power button lights, monitor screen flashes.....stuff like that.

Do you notice any difference if you always use the front power button instead of the keyboard? USB can flake out, especially on older machines.

Have you reset the PMU or done a Open Firmware reset?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Found applejack but it seems if you aren't really careful using this you can screw your machine forever.

What happens: Most of the time the machine does not chime. Maybe 50% of the time, no chime, no boot. The power light on the machine does come on all the time whether or not it boots. The monitor is black and there are no flashes when the machine does not boot

My keyboard is not USB but attached to the 8 pin (I think it's called APS) connector on the back of the machine.

I have not tried to power up from the power button on the front of the computer.

I have done the PMU reset: I don't think I know how to do an Open Firmware reset.

Probably won't help, but try using the front power button just to rule out issues with the keyboard.

AppleJack is about as safe as that sort of utility can be. Used it hundreds of times on many differnt machines....no damage yet. Touch wood.

Check this:
    use a usb keyboard for open fimware
    Resetting PRAM, NVRAM, and OF

To force resetting OF, (which is safe):

Restart holding down: Apple+Option+O+F

0 > reset-nvram
    Press Return
    0 > reset-all
    Press Return

The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have successfully reset the Open Firmware settings.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

My B&W has the same issue. If I zap PRAM it comes back slowly, by the third bong it's audible and it gets louder if I keep zapping. But unfortunately the next time I boot up it's gone again. I did notice it's fine if I boot into OS9.2.2 tho so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Personally I can live without it as I very seldom need to reboot anyway.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by almaink
    My B&W has the same issue. If I zap PRAM it comes back slowly, by the third bong it's audible and it gets louder if I keep zapping. But unfortunately the next time I boot up it's gone again. I did notice it's fine if I boot into OS9.2.2 tho so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Personally I can live without it as I very seldom need to reboot anyway.
    That sounds like a motherboard battery to me
    Damien,

Lightbulb

Chalk it up to age. My B&W would always start from the boot drive, but it had to look for it. New battery; zap nvram; no change. Just 7 yrs. old maybe.

I thought maybe it was a boot block thing. But can only do that so many times.

Had not booted OS 9 in yrs and I never used OS 9 drivers which I feel make for a less than ideal setup actually. And SoftRAID 3 doesn't support OS 9.

Damien said,
    "That sounds like a motherboard battery to me..."
    Sound exactly the the same for me...

Dave

Hey,

I am having a similar experience with my B/W G3.
    Here is my set up:

400 mhz G3 revision 1 Blue and White
    Running OS 10.3.9

Quantum Fireball 10g HD.

My problem is this,
    when I boot up the computer chimes once then will not boot to the HD.

I have changed the MB battery, and firmware reset.
    The only ways I can boot up are by doing the PRAM boot, and or from the
    OS DVD.

I have wiped the drive to zero, reloaded OS 10.3.9 with out OS 9.2.
    Any help as to what could be the source of my trouble?

TIA

bb57

Just a hunch, but those old Rev1's (what I had too) have such a flaky ATA bus that I always wonder about them and later versions of OS 10. I moved on, and had both a PATA and later a SATA PCI bus installed in mine.

For troubleshooting purposes, you might try installing an older OS as a test. If 10.2 or 9 works OK, it does not prove the ATA bus is at fault, but it shortens the list of potential sources of problems.