Thread: Pismo Resurection

Default Pismo Resurection

I thought I would start a new thread for the new project.

For a bit of history. the Pismo was given to me as parts. It received some damage a burn/melted spot under the Hard Drive. the person had changed out the HD ribbon cable which got scorched. He said it would no longer boot all he would get was a beep but then nothing. I recieved the Pismo with no memory or HD. I added some memory that I had checked the connections and put in a 9.2.2 system cd. Press the button and "CHIME" the laptop came to life.

Now I have hard drive issue, I got my hands on an old 2.5 in 3.2GB hard drive that the Pismo will not see, did not even seam to spin up at all. It was thought to be good. I took the HD out of the Wallstreet, a 8gb drive, it was too tall to actually fit but I connected it and and started the computer. Again with the 9.2.2 disk. It chimed but would not boot, I rebooted with the option key and only got the cd as a choice. Selected and it booted fine, but again it did not see the HD. I could hear the HD spining but not really searching.

Now the spec list the Pismo with an ultraATA bus. Is it possible that the controller simply can not access these older drives?? Or is there another problem. The Manual does not say any thing in the HD toubleshooting about the drive requirements just replace drive.

The rest of the computer seams to work well but it is had to really test it with out being able to install an OS.

Thanks Bob

What are the drive jumpers set to? Master, slave, cable select? Even if the jumpers are wrong it should spin up.

Are you sure it is not DOA?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused

Hello again Bob,
    Sounds like we are having the same / but opposite problems.
    I am trying to install a Toshiba 20 gig Hd in my old Wallstreet.
    The Toshiba drive is about 5/16" thick,while the original drive is 3/4" thick.
    Problem is when I mount this Drive in the HD cage it seems not to make good contact, and is not seen by the computer.
    The Drive works fine when not mounted in the HD cage.
    I have a spare HD cage I tried modding, shims etc. but still no luck.
    Hopefull others here have "Been there / done that..."

Dave

There are no jumpers on the notebook harddrives. The Wallstreet drive is working in the wallsteet but did not in the Pismo.
    Bob

Hey Dave,
    Just had my wallstreet apart, I would think that the height difference... never mind I just realized the drive is mounted upside down. The height difference must be in the base of the drive. If you sit the two drive next to each other, what is the height difference in the position of the connectors. If you take 4 or 8 small washes and shim the drive so that when it is right side up the connector is the same height as it was with the older drive. Then it should sit down far enough into the connector.

Hope that helps
    Bob

Default Artic Silver or thermal pads??

Best I can think at this point is that the logic board has a problem sending info to the hard drive. So I have a logic board coming.

The processor card has been removed so many times that the heat sink is no longer is attached to the processor. The Manual talks about replacing the thermal pads when the heat sinks gets separated from the processor chip. Would the use of Artic Silver (AS) or similar thermal conductor be a suitable replacement? Should I scape off the remains of the thermal pads before adding AS or just place a small amount AS on the pad. IF I need the pads where can I get them?

Also the square plastic clip that surrounds the chip and is what the heat sink screws attach to is loose and no longer positively "snaps" over the proccessor. Would it be safe to add a bit of super glue to hold the clip in place. Or is there another technique to get the clip to lock back in place.

I would like to give the Pismo the best chance to perform well when I finalize is resurrection.

Thanks Bob

Thumbs up

Hello Bob,
    Sorry i missed a few replies,
    Yes i have tried shims , washers and modding the HD cage .
    Makes no sense to me...
    I would strongly avoid against any "Super Glue" anywhere in your laptop !
    Been there, and have done that... a serious Duhhh...
    Arctic Silver is cool to work with, a little bit is all you need.
    Regards, and be patient.

David

Talking Its Alive

Its alive
    Recieved a logic board today attached to the lower case. So not only does the Pismo work, there is on more burn hole. The only hitch I ran into was that the PCMIA tray connector was missing the release button so I had to unmount the both logic boards from the bottom to get to the screws that held in the tray, added and extra 20 mins all in all I spent less that 2 hours to do the swap. The macfixit site is a great resource. For the same seller on ebay I got a 10 gb hd that probably came for the same pismo complet with gage and ribbon. the pismo booted right up on the operating system on the drive as if I just took it out of the box.
    Tiger would not install , I think 192mb of ram is not enough to even get it started. I going to try Panther next.
    Any one got some 256 or 512 PC100 sodimms they want to part with?
    more Later
    Bob

Thumbs up Cool!

I had some glitches when installing Tiger on my Pismo the first time, but it worked on the second try. I went back to Panther though since I don't have iLife for Tiger. Dashboard, and Spotlight were not a good trade for iPhoto IMHO.

Default only have 12mb ram

I thought I had a 128 and 64 mb chips installed but took another look and ther is only two 64 chips so I only got 128 for now.

Default Panther running

INstalled Panther but had to use TDM as the Pismo optical drive had trouble with the installl discs. TDM to the slot load iMac. First time I really used TDM there are some real advantages file transfers were like "now". Will play around with the firewire stuff more now that I have a FW capable laptop.

Anyone have any 512mb Sodimms they want to part with??

BTW this is coming to you via the Pismo
    Bob