Thread: G5 Powermac needs 2nd internal HD

Exclamation G5 Powermac needs 2nd internal HD

I need to install a 2nd internal HD in bay#2 of a PowerMac G5. I'd like to install a 250 GB HD. Apple web site says to use SATA but doesn't say if SATA I or SATA II will work. An Apple Tech rep had me on hold for over 20 minutes until I gave up. My guess is he could only handle IPOD questions Some HD specs say their SATA II HD is backward compatible with SATA I and others do not say anything. Western Digital lists a few SATA drives that are specifically not compatible with the Powermac G5 and say not to use them. Could someone tell me which SATA is right for a Powermac G5 desktop. Also I'd like to know what the difference is between SATA I and SATA II and which format is right for this mac. Tired of speaking with tech reps with no information or communication skills... Thanks for any help. I've always found my answers here and am hoping to keep 100% success record.

All the current HItachi and Seagate drives we carry will work fine. SOme of the early SATAII Seagate drives would not work in the G5, the new ones have resolved those issues.

We like both of them, they are very reliable and now even Hitachi carries a 5 year warranty.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Help on G5 SATA questin

Rick- Thanks for your help on this! Can you tell me what the difference is between SATA I and II? Will the G5 take advantage of the SATA II or will it fall back to SATA I and is there any speed difference? Also, what do you think of Western Digital? Thanks again.

SATAI and SATAII are bus specifications..... and they don't make for faster performance on desktop computers. Most of the features that were added to make SATAII are server specific and do nothing for desktop performance.

SATAI bus at 150 MB/sec is still faster by a bunch than any current drive is mechanically capable of. Todays fastest 7200 RPM drive are just pushing over 70 MB/sec, it really matters not at all whether they are on a SATAI or SATAII bus, they will still give you 70ish MB/sec.

All current manufacture drives are SATAII, so you don't have a choice there. ANd the SATAI bus in your G5 is plenty capable for the most part. Slap a drive in it and use it. You will not be able without a bench test program to tell the difference between that bus and a SATAII bus with the same drive on it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin