Thread: SeriTek/new Hitachi problems

Default SeriTek/new Hitachi problems

My rev. A G5 has a 1SE2 board (a year+ old, with the older "internal" connectors) which I've been using with Cuda .8 and Raptor drives for some time with no problems whatsoever. Have now tried to use some new Hitachi drives (p/n 0A30356 [82.3 gb], 0A31636 [250 gb]) and things hang at the "SATA configuration has changed... " screen. Repeated clicking of "OK" does nothing but return the same screen. Starting with the drive pre-installed does not work either.

It was my impression that the SeriTek/Hitachi problems had been solved with the newer drives. Any thoughts on this?

Tom
    Last edited by TeeH; 10-13-2006 at 01:03 PM.

Lightbulb

The only problem I know were some old now 7K400 and a few 7K250's which are mentioned by SeriTek, Barefeats, even OWC, and our FAQ Index as not being compatible. That was back in 2005 (early).

Does resetting nvram or PRAM/NVRAM from cold boot clear it up? The G5 sometimes "remembers" old configurations. Also, try a Safe Boot.

Are the drives initialized yet?
    Can you tranlate your S/N into "T7K250" or something?

I got the problem under control with a different card/case combination for now. Will try those suggestions when time permits and report back. Thanks!

T