Thread: WTB Video Card Ibook G3 (A1005)

Question WTB Video Card Ibook G3 (A1005)

Hi, I'm looking for a video card for a 12'' Ibook G3 800 mhz.
    The Ibook model number is A1005, as far as I know the card should be a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500.
    The card should be shipped to Italy, and I'd pay using Paypal.

By the way, the same card from a Windows PC would it work? Guess no, but...

Thanks

Default Card ?

There is no such thing as a video card for an iBook (that you can add). If you had a PCMCIA slot, there are some options, but there is no card you can use on an iBook.

If you need to replace video controller on the motherboard using BGA work techniques, you would have to find a chip. I dont know where you could find one, although some of the BGA rework shops might know.

Mad DOg

Uh, thanks, as you may have noticed I'm not an MAC HW expert , I use the "others" OS ...
    A friend of mine has this Ibook G3, it doesn't work (no details aboute the meaning of "does not work") and the she was told by the Mac Repair Center that the "video card has to be replaced", the price was only 600$..
    I googled a bit and found that the video card is a ATI Radeon Mobility 7500, but that the firmware shall be the MAC one, and not the PC.

A bit puzzled..

Default iBook video card

you are indeed correct, it may be a 7500 ATI chipset (which is soldiered to the logic board).

basically, a new computer is in order... sell yours on Ebay 'as is' with the information supplied (ie bad Video card).

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Doh!
    Thanks, anyway :-)

Default ibook mobo problem

If the issue is that the video doesnt work, either on the screen or using the video out port, but the unit (sometimes) boots, then it is quite possible the laptop has a common failure mode.

From what I read, the ibook is small enough theat people tend to pick it up with one hand. Over time, this torques the motherboard so that the video chip develops cold solder joints.

There is no simple way to repair the unit. You need a new motherboard.

I am trying to collect afew motherboards for a potential fix that involves sending the motherboards to a particular BGA rework shop.

Mad Dog