Thread: OS 9 G4 3 beeps.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OS 9 G4 3 beeps.

Hello.

I'm working with an older G4. When I try to start it up, the Mac beeps 3 times at me, and doesn't go farther.

I've read the Mac documents about the beeps, and how it is associated with the RAM. I have reseated all the RAM, and installed known good RAM, without change.

I don't know if I can startup the machine without the RAM (or if I can startup from disc) - I haven't been able to so far.

Any thoughts on how I might be able to move forward.

Thanks.

You won't be able to boot from anything unless good your RAM passes the hardware test. At this point, it would appear that either:

1. The G4 does not like the RAM you have, so you need some other RAM, at least for testing.

2. All the RAM banks (slots) are bad, which - to the best of my knowlege - means you need a new logic board. Ouch.

Other stuff you can try.... All I can think of is aPMU reset. Nohing to lose by trying it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I don't know specific requirements for the G4 but I can tell you that I had been using ram in a g3 beige that worked fine but when I put it in a G3 iMac, both called for 168 pin PC 100 SDRAM and the G3 just sat there and beeped swaped the ram that had worked and all was good. Turned out the ram from the beige was registered ram with an addtional buffer chip that did phase the beige but the iMac could not handle it.

check the ram type and spec not just pin configuration

Bob

Thumbs up

What Bob said.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I hadn't added any RAM to the system. It was the same RAM that came installed with the Mac. Just one day, on startup.. it beeped instead of starting up.

I'll try the PMU chip.

No luck with the PMU reset.

Looks like its bound for parts.