Thread: G4 needs new power supply... do I have to buy Apple?

Default G4 needs new power supply... do I have to buy Apple?

I have a G4 which seems to need a new power supply. The battery is new, but I get no power/lights at all.

Do I have to buy an expensive Apple replacement part, or can I go get a similar wattage unit at somewhere like CompUSA for $30?

Thanks

Default My experience

Hello,
    Beware the pin patterns. Mac has moved around some connecter cables so the cable looks the same until you look closely - it is a proprietary pattern. I looked extensively into a power supply replacement for my G4 one day, and even with the pinout guide on xlr8yourmac.com to re wire a standard power supply, I chose to sell the machine and buy one with a working power supply. I came out ahead with a faster machine, and money ahead because I got $350 for my empty beautiful Mac case on Ebay. In the new machine I re installed my drives and memory, and proceeded to carry on.
    Other experts here may be able to get you the better technical guidance that I did not have at the time.
    All the best
    Tim
    Talkinmyear

Sawtooth G4 is an easy swap with a standard ATX. Just move a few wires around.

Gigabit, DA, and QS with ADC is doable if you're into circuit building since you have to come up with a way to power the ADC on the logic board. An ATX PSU can't supply a workable voltage to the ADC which has to be present for the Mac to boot.

MDD is a totally different PSU form factor. Nothing else like it that will fit without serious physical mods.

The battery is new, but I get no power/lights at all.
    Just to make sure....did you try resetting the PMU?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95037

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

when you push the power button does it light up under your finger only to go out after release ?
    Damien,

I did try resetting the PMU and still I get no lights whatsoever.