Thread: Mac OS X 10.4.8 (PPC/Intel)

Lightbulb Mac OS X 10.4.8 (PPC/Intel)

You can now download the PPC or Intel versions (or both!) of Mac OS X 10.4.8
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
    Intel versions are 209 and 293MB.

Security updated included in 10.4.8

Mac OS X 10.4.8 brings a bunch of fixes for the "Tiger" operating system, as Apple's public documentation notes:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304200

This update offers many improvements, including the following, which apply to both Intel- and Power-PC-based Macs unless otherwise noted:

Printing
    * Adds support for CDSASSL (Common Data Security Architecture Secure Sockets Layer) printer connections.
    * Addresses an issue for Mac OS X 10.4.7 in which some documents containing some Chinese or Korean language characters might not print as expected.
    Finder and Apple applications
    * Resolves an issue in which a Finder alert message with the buttons "Initialize", "Ignore", and "Eject" might not appear after connecting a partitioned FireWire hard drive.
    * Addresses a potential issue in which Preview may unexpectedly quit.
    * Improves reliability of iTunes syncing with certain iPod models.

Networking and modem
    * Resolves performance issues that could occur when connecting to a Comcast network.
    * Improves security by adding support for EAP-FAST for AirPort wireless authentication.
    * Improves Express Card behavior for portable Intel-based Macs.
    * Improves reliability for connections made in Ireland with an external Apple USB Modem.
    * Improves connection reliability for external Apple USB Modems when resuming an Internet connection after answering an incoming call.
    * A computer restart is no longer needed to restart nfsd.
    * Improves Apple File Sharing client performance by changing the default AFP WAN quantum size.. More...
    * Windows File Sharing now generates only one process, avoiding an issue that could cause a Mac OS X computer to become unresponsive if it won a master browser election.
    * Improves reliability when faxing in France or Belgium via an external Apple USB Modem.

Third-party
    * Resolves an issue for Microsoft Word in which Word might stop responding when saving a file that uses certain OpenType fonts.
    * Adds RAW image decoding support for these cameras: Sony DSLR-A100, Nikon D2Xs, Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, Fuji FinePix S3 Pro (+Highlights) and Konica Minolta 7.
    * Resolves an issue in which thumbnails may appear blank when importing RAW images from a Canon 30D camera.
    * Resolves an issue for Microsoft PowerPoint in which the display resolution might not change as expected after switching from a PowerPoint presentation to a different application via Command-Tab.
    * Improves compatibility for Canon EOS Utility software after connecting a Canon EOS Kiss Digital camera to a PowerPC-based Mac.
    * Improves compatibility for the TV Tracker 2 Dashboard widget.

Other
    * Includes recent Apple security updates.
    * Improves the accuracy of Rosetta numerics and addresses Altivec translation issues on Intel-based Macs.
    * ColorSync matching no longer fails when using a V4 ICC profile in an application opened with Rosetta on an Intel-based Mac.
    * Addresses an issue in which some USB devices connected to a PCI card may not be recognized after starting up or waking the computer.
    * Resolves an issue in which external USB-based video cameras may not be available after quitting the application that is using it.
    * Reduces time needed to transfer data from a USB-based image scanner.
    * Improves responsiveness of the Translation Dashboard widget.
    * Addresses an issue in which text typed with the Hangul input method may not be visible while the Caps Lock key is active, on PowerPC-based Macs.
    * Adds support on Intel-based Macs for multiple cores to LAPACK and BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework; the maximum number of threads used by Accelerate BLAS routines is now limited by the environment variable VECLIB_MAXIMUM_THREADS; addresses an issue with some complex BLAS routines in the Accelerate framework that were encountering an illegal instruction.
    Last edited by TZ; 09-29-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Lightbulb Mac Pro w/ combo update

I should assume that with 300MB updater, a lot of changes went in. It did a lot of 'churning' on the next boot, did a restart on its own (with Mac Pro you often hear a "click" when there is a shutdown, which I heard, and looked to be certain it was on or not) and then restarted.

I don't remember what the last firmware and ROM version was, but maybe I should look?

I did a fresh format and clone of the system, and made sure all is well first.

No issues - yet - with an early MBP. Oddly, most everything sseemed a bit slow on first access, as if cache or temp files got wiped. Don't remember that with other updates.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

I usually (with PPC) would delete the cache folders using AppleJack. And first (and maybe second) boot does have to rebuild extensions and more (and probably a lot was changed - 300MB expands to 900MB at least).

Much better use and sharing of four cores is the first thing I see. Program that would "hop" between cores, but only use two at most and spike on one, now is much more balanced and even on all four. I like to see Activity Monitor cpu usage in the dock all the time.

Populated now on all but two drives held as "emergency." And I have disk images of system and disks if needed.

PPC version of 10.4.8 using Software Update was only about 23.5MB as I recall. I had already updated GarageBand, iMovie HD, iDVD, iPhoto, and iWeb yesterday. Reboot was somewhat slow for me too. Repaired permissions and verified disk, nothing wrong. Rebooted again which was normal. And so far everything is working OK. k

Default Bluetooth problems w/ 10.4.8

After installing 10.4.8 via SoftwareUpdate, I lost my Bluetooth (I noticed it when BluePhoneElite wouldn't connect to my cell); I then got the combo upgrade and installed that, but the same thing happened: my G4 (using a Difusi dongle) will not communicate (and thus not sync) with either my Motorola V710 or my Palm Tungsten T3.
    I did re-pair each device, and the G4 sees the devices, and shows "connected" in the Bluetooth pref panel, but nothing happens between computer and device (in addition, the BT Pref. panel was hanging, going beach-ball on me for several minutes before popping up).
    Any ideas? (I realize the Difusi is not officially supported, but the only time I had problems was back in 10.4.4 (?), and I've only seen a couple reports on MacInTouch, no mention on xlr8, and Apple Discussions is just too darned BIG.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Lightbulb

MacFixit has been reporting and tracking similar types of problems - and - what to do. I also like to read MacIntouch daily which also keeps reader feedback by topic, and is free while Fixit goes into paid-only access after 3 days.

MacOS X 10.4.8: Airport Issue - Lionel - 10:56:31 - Comments

Apple has released a TechNote related to an already well described issue with airport: "AirPort does not auto-connect to existing networks after restart or wake from sleep".

This problem is affecting only Core Duo-based models (featuring an Atheros Airport chips):

MacBook
    MacBook Pro (all models)
    Mac mini (Early 2006)
    iMac (Early 2006)
    To solve the issue:
    To restore the auto-connect feature:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    Select the Network pane.

From the "Show:" drop-down menu, choose "AirPort".

Make sure the "By default, join:" pop-up menu is set to "Preferred networks." (If it was set to "Automatic networks", you can set it back to Automatic after the next step.)

Select any network that shows WPA2 security and use the minus (-) button to remove those networks from the list.

Once all WPA2 networks have been removed from the list, use the plus (+) button to add them back. (You will need the appropriate passwords for the wireless network.) If it's more convenient, you can wait to re-add the networks until you use them—when you use a network, it will be added to the list automatically.

If in step 3, your default was Automatic rather than Preferred, go ahead and change your default back to Automatic.

For the other issue with Airport sensitivity affecting iMac core 2 Duo and Mac Pro, apple has so far not released any fix or explanation. It seems to be a driver issue, new drivers for the Broadcom 4328 card are not ready yet; and the temporary driver is the one designed for 43xx card found in some old eMac.
    Last edited by TZ; 10-03-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Default So far, no luck....

Having spent most of the afternoon yesterday emptying caches, rebuilding my pairings and bluetooth ports from scratch, even using the bluetooth developers' tools to peer into the BT-guts - and searching every site that I know of for similar circumstances/a cure, I'm still at the point where I must describe my Bluetooth-connection as "wonky": e.g. "Clicker" works 90% of the time, pairing sometimes requires me to pull the Bluetooth dongle out of the USB and re-insert it for the connection to continue, still my "pride and joy" - be able to sit on my porch with my PDA and read/write e-mail (SnapperMail) or browse the internet (WebPro) through my G4's BT connection to the ethernet - is dead.
    The central focus of my poking and prodding was to find out why, when I open the Bluetooth Sys. Prefs. does it go into a 5-minute beach-ball spin, finally come up, then when I choose to view either a device or port more closely, the same beach-ball action occurs again.
    I can only surmise that - because the upgrade mentions a lot of USB "fixes" - that the USB/BT cooperation on older Macs has been somehow compromised; and I did try plugging the Difusi dongle directly into the computer's USB to no effect.
    Is pulling out my Tiger disk for a reinstall and then a combo-upgrade back to 10.4.7 a viable option at this point? My only option?
    I would be ecstatic to hear ANY comments, suggestions, guesses, voodoo, or special incantations for resurrecting old King Harald Blatand (Bluetooth) on the old Sawtooth, at least until Spring.
    As always, thanks in advance!
    Terry

Default Update: Success, but how (?)

Just wanted to give a quick update; quick, mostly because I still don't know what I did that finally did the "trick", but I started going under the assumption that I was to blame (i.e. the problem was there before the upgrade) and not the upgrade, because I saw very very few similar reports. The last (major) thing that I did - in a lonnng chair of events - was reset the Cuda; I then reapplied 10.4.8, and a little more tweaking peculiar to my own setup brought me back to 100% Bluetooth functionality.

Lightbulb Mac Pro RAID kernel panic

I posted about the issue with k/p's greeting MacPro users if they had a boot RAID.... some of the time.... but not every RAID setup would, only some, and no rhyme or reason who. And of course no explanation of what the 10..4.8 Intel update was doing to those systems (long first restart and double-boot too).

Sort of like what happended with EFI and SMC firmware updates, but those are "special" and get run early in the boot process, and need access to the hard drive but before the RAID is up usually (but, not always).

WD Raptor and WD RE series drives worked and no issue. A lot of people are pissed and annoyed that they could not and had to boot and install from non-RAID. Many want hardware based RAID in EFI and BIOS.

All I want to know is what was happening to take so long? I think it was modifying boot blocks or maybe EFI firmware? but wouldn't that be done separately? Disk Utility was updated. And SoftRAID 3.6 has had to wait for Apple's 10.4.8 in order to fix problems and proceed with their own update.

But to say that "Apple doesn't support RAID" is just the kind of nonesense you'll see in some threads. Truth is, Apple has done a lot to improve RAID features and performance with Tiger, and in some small and not so small steps since (10.4.3/.4, again now). And to support multi-partition RAIDs finally.

But you still need to take a lot more care.