Thread: IP printing with a Wallstreet

Default IP printing with a Wallstreet

oh wise Gurus I need help again.
    Trying to print from a Powerbook G3 running 10.2.8 via ethernet to an HP 5si through a JetDirect Card 400N. Using a crossover cable I can communicate with the jet direct card, successfully pinging the IP address. To do that I have a separate location set up under network that puts the powerbook in the same subnet and similar IP address, via print center> IP Printing> printer ip address, select type as HP 5si ( even downloaded new drivers for the HP web site).
    When I print a test page, word doc, or text edit rtf, connect to printer send page, printer recieves data, prints first page with text unrelated to what on the test page and then several blank pages.

The text appears as %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %RBINumCopies:1
    %% Pages: (atend)
    %%Title: (microsoft Word - Doc

across then top of the first page and that is all there is. I tried a most of the HP drivers, some got no response at all but those they did all came out the same.

I am sure it is simple but what do I do next, tried it with Apple talk active or in active the printer configuration page list it as Apple talk ready with node and id numbers but print center kept that grayed out under appletalk so that did not seam like it was going to work.

Print center also grayed out the "auto" feature.

Any ideas?

Thanks Bob

Sounds like the printer doesnt have PostScript (PS).
    Or the file is send as PS level3 but the printer supports a lower PS level only.

I have an HP Laserjet4M Plus (The M indicates Mac/PostScript).
    But you can use it also over PCL (HPs printer language) via GimpPrint.
    Also you have to setup the MEA interface (Network Interface, Buffers Memory etc) on the Printer also PS in the PS menu of the printer.

Maybe this is an option to solve your problem?

Dont have enough time now but I'll try to get back to ya soon.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thanks Nicolas,
    I was thinking that if I used the drivers for that model thank it would take care of the language problem. If I do set the printer config as PS I am guessing that would mess up its other duties. This printer is a heavy use network printer at work on the production floor to print Load Tags, mostly, and is connected through the network by the PC on my desk as a print server. The jet direct card is a recent addition, with the eventual use to by pass the computer, not needed realy so I hoping to take advantage of the situation. I use the lap top for work at home and it would be great to to be able to just plug it up and print rather than email pdfs from home before leaving to printhem when I get there.

I will check out any gimp print drivers
    Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Macnewbe
    If I do set the printer config as PS I am guessing that would mess up its other duties.
    No, I think, cuz I can set the language to "autoselect" as well on my L4MP.
    So, both ways are available.

Regards

Nicolas

Default Partial Sucess

Well got the Wallstreet printing from OSX the printer did not have an option to select PS only PCL configuation, Went to Linux Printing and downloaded a foomatic drivers and it worked like a charm.
    Next challenge is to get it to print from classic. I still use one classic app that I really need to print. But it looks for the printer on the serial connection and if I go to control panel>TCP/IP I get a not supported in classic message, Chooser shows no network connection.

Any thoughts on that one. I am thinking if I boot to 9.1 I can then maybe set up the network print get it to work somehow then try it back from classic mode. Doyou think I will need 9.2 to get it all to work.

Thanks Bob

The Apple LaserWriter driver works only with PS-Printers.

Just goto HPs page and click on Download driver and type in your printer model.

All PS-Printers are using it you'll need only a PPD (Printer,Parameters Description) file. So if the Printer have PS it should work.

NOTE: At this time, only certain languages are supported when using Mac OS X. The default language of English will be installed if a language is not supported. Some languages not currently supported are:

Chi_simp, Chi_trad, Cesky, Dansk, Suomi, Hungul, Norsk, Portugus, Russian, Svenska, Turkce.

The HP LaserJet Installer provides HP LaserJet PostScript printing support for the Mac OS 8.6, 9.0, 9.04, 9.1, 9.2 and X 10.0 operating systems.

This software solution provides printer support for the following printers:
    HP CLJ5M ColorSmart
    HP Color LaserJet
    HP Color LaserJet 5M
    HP LaserJet 4 Plus
    HP LaserJet 4 Plus 300 dpi
    HP LaserJet 4ML
    HP LaserJet 4MP
    HP LaserJet 4MP (300 dpi)
    HP LaserJet 4Si (300 dpi)
    HP LaserJet 4Si v2011.110
    HP LaserJet 4V
    HP LaserJet 5M
    HP LaserJet 5MP
    HP LaserJet 5Si
    HP LaserJet 5Si Mopier
    HP LaserJet 6MP
    LaserJet 4
    LaserJet 4 (300 dpi)
    This software contains the following software:
    # PostScript Printer Description (PPD) files
    # Printer Dialog Extentions (PDE) files (OS X only)
    # I/O Modules to support USB products
    # HP LaserJet Utility
    ype: Driver
    Version: 101001.00 (11 Mar 2005)
    Operating System(s): Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X
    Language(s):
    Submit
    File name: ljlegacy-en.sit (2.1 MB)
    Regards

Nicolas

Default 5si will not see PS printing

This 5si at work is configured for PCL only. Printer configuration page shows no option for PS printing. I do not know if this is a firwware update or could be configured other that through the configuration page on the printer.

Printing through classic is ging to be a bigger challenge then I first thought as classic tries to print through the serial port.

how do I get classic to look at the ethernet port for the printer?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Macnewbe
    This 5si at work is configured for PCL only. Printer configuration page shows no option for PS printing. I do not know if this is a firwware update or could be configured other that through the configuration page on the printer.

Printing through classic is ging to be a bigger challenge then I first thought as classic tries to print through the serial port.

how do I get classic to look at the ethernet port for the printer?
    Bob
    Classic is using AppleTalk only for printing so you have to configure the printer and activate AppleTalk (AT). Best part AT is self configuring, you just have to switch it on.

I don't know if the 5si has PS build in. The 4 series needs a PS module to be installed.

Regards

Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Classic is using AppleTalk only for printing so you have to configure the printer and activate AppleTalk (AT). Best part AT is self configuring, you just have to switch it on.

I don't know if the 5si has PS build in. The 4 series needs a PS module to be installed.

Regards

Nicolas
    The 5si page list it as APPLE ready, and gives node and ID info but I could not even get the print set up under Appletalk to see the printer.

I am thinking the 5i is needs the PS module as the old series 5. I looks lik the later 5siM 5siMX and 5si Postscript all seam to hav the post script built in.

Bob

Default G4 PB not printing

I now have a G4 PB running 10.4.7 that I am trying to print to the work 5si. I installed the same ghost script, and foomatic drivers (the G4 will print fine to the laserwriter NT using these) as on the wallstreet (10.2.8). print setup see the printer but it will not print, the printer never recieves any data. I can ping the Jet direct card and if i just swap the ethernet cable to the wallsteet it will print fine. card is set to auto detect 10T/100T.

Any thoughs on what I might be missing.

Bob