Thread: Trouble installing Jaguar on new Internal Slave drive

Default Trouble installing Jaguar on new Internal Slave drive

Hi, I am fairly new to system X and so far I like it. I do have, however a little problem. I am trying to install System 10.2 from an Apple CD into my lew, larger second drive and the installer is not "seeing" any of my drives. I don't know why this is hapenning. I recently (6 to 8 months ago) upgraded my system software from system 9.1 to system 10.2.8 using an Apple system X CD for Powerbooks and G4s. I think, I did not have to install the security updates back then and I didn't even have to install the system 10.1.5 update and all of the other security updates. I am almost sure that I installed the system 10 CD and them the 10.2 and, after that, I had downloaded all the 3 (I think) updated to get to system 10.2.8. So, I don't know if I should go straight from system 10 to 10.2 or what. What I had done for this new 93 Gig drive was, again. to install the straight from the CD system X. Then I downloaded several security updates and system 10.1.5 combo update plus one more security update dated 2004 after the 10.1.5 package. Everything seemed to be installing fine and then, when I was trying to install system 10.2 (after booting from it, of course), the installer did not see or showed either one of my 2 drives. What's going on? Why is it that I can't continue. I installed the following after the straight system X CD (and after software update installed one more security update when I was running the straight system X CD): SecUpd7-18-02forv.10.1.dmg, MacOSXUpdateCombo10.1.5.dmg and lastly, this: SecurityUpd2004-01-26P.dmg. At this point, I don't think that there are any more updates but, I could be wrong. Any suggestions? Any alternatives or steps I should not take while installing updates?
    Thanks for all the help,
    Larry

Rolleyes buy Tiger and save yourself lots of

troubles
    Tom Babb

Default One Step at a Time...

OK, so you added a drive. Can you see the drive with Disk Utility? In order to install any OS, you need to intialize (format) the drive first.

Open Disk Utility and check and see if it sees both drives.

If it does not, we need to back up a step and check your install steps.

And yes, any flavor of OS 10 previous to 10.3 is still rough around the edges. Some folks say they won't do anything less than 10.4, but I think for daily us 10.3 is pretty darn OK.

Without boring you with the details, I think you should strongly consider picking up a full retail version of 10.3 or 10.4. Watch out for disks that are for specific machines......can cause problems.

Even the process of intializing the drive from a 10.3 or newer CD/DVD is different. And better. Now is the time to move forward. 10.3 and newer is more stable, more refined, and actually faster on all older hardware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Can you boot from a CD or DVD ... hold the "c" key while booting. Hold it a long time the optical drives are slow.

If yes what if anything can you see? Can you wipe this drive clean? or is there needed data on it? Sounds like a mix of installs.

and yes... A retail Tiger/Panther should be painless.

What type of install CD's and what type of computer? Not something made for a powerbook or such.

Default Trouble installing Jaguar on new Internal Slave drive

Thanks to all for the responses. At this point I rather not invest money buying more system software. I have all my stuff customized for 10.2.8 and don't want to upgrade again. The drive was formated with the disk utility and I chose the option of adding system 9 drivers (I don't know if that is a bad thing). The straight system 10 disk for G4s and powerbooks installed fine and the subsequent updates too. The problem come when I put in the system 10.2 disk and re-boot from it to install the software. The CD is not "seeing" the drives when it comes to choosing a destination drive. Should I wait longer? Is the DVDROM drive slow? Will it ever see them? Why is this hapenning? I don't mind wipping the drive clean and re-formatting it again since I have not put any data in it yet. Can I install 10.2 stright from the CD? Is there another workaround?
    Thanks again,
    Larry

Can I install 10.2 stright from the CD?
    Yes it is the preferred method. If you have no data then I would erase / initialize the drive. Get rid of any and all goblins.

Boot with the CD .... Can you see the drives from the Disk Utility?

Quote Originally Posted by rwm
    Yes it is the preferred method. If you have no data then I would erase / initialize the drive. Get rid of any and all goblins.

Boot with the CD .... Can you see the drives from the Disk Utility?
    I can boot from the 10.2 CD and, also, I can initialize the drive and install system 9 drivers. The problem is that when I go to install 10.2, it says I need a previous version of System X. Why is this hapenning?
    Larry

Lightbulb

It is an update only CD, not a full install.

Never liked Jaguar. Rather messy. Panther was somewhat better, but I'd pass on that too.

Ouch.

OK, since you have to round up a full istaller anyway, can we talk you into going to at least 10.3 now?

You can find full 10.3 retail disks for about 40 - 50 bucks. Too much?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    It is an update only CD, not a full install.

Never liked Jaguar. Rather messy. Panther was somewhat better, but I'd pass on that too.
    You are right on that. I thought it was a full stand alone CD but, it is the upgrade. How can I go from this point. I don't want to buy 10.3 or 10.4. I want to use 10.2.8
    Thanks,
    Larry

You need a full install of 10.2. I can dig around and see if I have a spare.

Will not be going back there, so no need.