Thread: Wireless PCI card for a G4...?

Default Wireless PCI card for a G4...?

Hope this is the right area. I poked about and didn't see what I was looking for.

I have a Dual Processor MDD G4 that won't take an Airport Extreme card. I recently moved it out to my new home office in the back yard hobby shack.

My ABS extreme is indoors is in the house connected to my cable modem where the wife and I laptop.

I want to toss a Wireless PCI card in the G4.

Any suggestions as to which card(s) to consider?

Thanks. I'm hoping to get off cheap but obviously I want something that does the job.

Lightbulb

Two places to look for cards and compatibility:

www.xlr8yourmac.com
    www.macwireless.com

Lightbulb

saw this recently too, though I don't know anyone using it. Nice to have a USB option for almost any modern Mac.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Great info. Thanks.

Here's where I'm at.

A buddy at work gave me a Netgear wireless card that he pulled from a dead box (Windows). I got to poking around on line and discovered it's compatable with Orangeware's wireless driver for 10.3+

I downloaded the trial wear and set it up.

I'm stuck.

I can see my airport extreme base station with the card.

But I can't connect to the internet.

NOt sure if my internet settings are wrong or what. I've entered them and reentered them several times.

My G4 sees the card as an ethernet port. Is this normal?

And all the airport buttons are greyed out or missing.

Not sure how long I'll bother fussing with it. It was free so I dont' want to give up too soon. But I can find very little support/info on Orangeware's website.

On old MacAddict review (oct 2004) claims the driver doesn't work with an ABS extreme. Can that be right?

It also claims they couldn't get it to work with an ABS unless they turned off all encryption/passwords. Which isn't acceptable.

But since it's an old review I'm hoping later versions of the driver fixed such issues.

No help. Wanted to do the same myself, but the card I had would keep the Mac from booting.

That's as far as I ever got with Orangeware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Arrow Orinoco Silver

The Orinoco Silver 802.11b Cardbus cards work in the Apple Airport Slot of your G4. They are electronically identical to the Apple Airport cards, but unfortunately they are physically about 3/4 inch longer than the original Apple versions.

bsrtech.com has these silvers for only $16 USD! That's about 50% of the standard eBay and aftermarket price.

--
    I'm about to post a thread describing the installation of an Orinoco Silver into my son's Clamshell iBook SE last night. I'll post a crosslink here when I have created that thread.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Arrow Orinoco in an Airport Slot

haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X