Thread: Need some advice on laptop upgrades!

Sorta center to left on the ball of confusion

Arrow Need some advice on laptop upgrades!

I'm a relative new guy here, and before I ask my question(s), I'd like to say that the knowledge base here that is evident is really awesome!

So, on to my Q's....
    1] I'm thinking of purchasing a used I-book. or Lombard or Clamshell. They can be had at very reasonable prices these days. I want to upgrade these processors, being no stranger to the processor upgrades. Are there good processor upgrades available?
    2] What after-market maufacturers sell these, if any are available?
    3] Who makes the best memory upgrades?
    4] What Hard drive's are the best for upgrading to?
    5] What sort of connectivity is inside?

Many thanks, in advance...

I put a gig of Gurus RAM, and a 7200RPM 100GB Hitachi ATA in my Pismo. It really woke it up, and it's virtually silent. It's relatively cool too. Still looking for a reasonably priced Airport card for it.

I think I'm gonna pass on the CPU upgrade though. The moderate speed increase isn't worth the reduction in battery life, and the additional heat IMHO.

The Lombard/Wallstreet are the same case as the Pismo. Very easy to upgrade compared to the iBooks.

Thumbs down

stay away from the early ibooks. Hard to upgrade the HD, low resolution LCD, too few ports, no CPU help, RAM soldered in.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Pismo or Lombard?

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    I put a gig of Gurus RAM, and a 7200RPM 100GB Hitachi ATA in my Pismo. It really woke it up, and it's virtually silent. It's relatively cool too. Still looking for a reasonably priced Airport card for it.

I think I'm gonna pass on the CPU upgrade though. The moderate speed increase isn't worth the reduction in battery life, and the additional heat IMHO.

The Lombard/Wallstreet are the same case as the Pismo. Very easy to upgrade compared to the iBooks.

Thanks for that! I was wondering about the differences, and you've cleared up some Q's. My last apple laptop was a Duo 2300. It got dropped by a visitor and is now dead. I don't think that I could upgrade it anyway....

Do you find that with the upgrades you've done to yours, that you are good on the I-net? Satisfied w/ the speed, etc?

I'm going to be doing a bunch of grad courses online, and that's why I'm looking to get an older one soon. I'll need some decent speed, however don't want to get a new Powerbook just yet.

Default Where do you work w/ all those computers?

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    stay away from the early ibooks. Hard to upgrade the HD, low resolution LCD, too few ports, no CPU help, RAM soldered in.
    I read your signature computers, and was really impressed with the amount of Computers you are using....

The Pismo does quite well for everday internet stuff. It runs Panther pretty well though the video performance is not great. It even runs PS7 too if you're not in a hurry.

Of course compared to my dual 1.6 G4 Tower it's not even in the same class. It is a lot more portable though. I use it mainly as a travelling companion, and an external FW drive in Taget Disk Mode. That's a major advantage of a Pismo over a Lombard/Wallstreet.

Default Pismo vs Wallstreet

I would encourage you to spend the little bit extra and buy a Pismo as well. I have a 400, it plays DVD, movies etc and supports Tiger native.

You cannot do that with the Wallstreet series, even with a 500 upgrade (Sonnet). I used to have 2 Wallstreet 500's and the Pismo far and away is the one to look for.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

It just so happens that today I took apart my sister's iBook 500. The magic smoke was escaping, and the power connector was flakey.

What a laborious job just to swap out a hard drive! So many screws, and delicate pieces. I sure wouldn't wanna do this every day.

I think maybe some of the white grease from the battery compartment springs got down onto the logic board where it got heated up enough to smoke. I can't find anything that looks burnt.

One of the little contacts inside the power jack was bent a bit so I bent it back carefully with a small screwdriver. The plug fits much better now. It was fun though. My eyes ain't that good on tiny stuff close up anymore.

Working on this thing makes me appreciate the Pismo even more:

Quote Originally Posted by whitjr
    I read your signature computers, and was really impressed with the amount of Computers you are using....

Well, I don't actually like to say as I don't want anyone to think my opinions represent those of my employer. But I can say that I work for a company that helps peole learn how to learn, mostly reading and comprehension. We have over 40 different locations around the US.

I (along with others in the centralized IT dept.) get to look after all of their computers, which are mostly Macs.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Nice Brane. How long did it take to find the screw under the magnet, or did you have a cheat sheet?

Oh, the irony that you have to gut the whole thing to swap the HD. Can't tell you how thrilled I am that the MacBooks have a easy swap drive.

The take-apart guide I used did show the screw under the little magnet, but it was wrong on a couple other screw locations. Fortunately many years of wrenching has taught me to be on the lookout for those kind of things.

Probably the worst part of the job is making sure you don't break anything while prying it apart. I used a thick nylon guitar pick. Worked like a charm, but it required a lot of finesse, and patience.

Default Thanks, Everyone!

Looks like the Pismo is the way to go. There's a bunch ofthem on ebay, and they seem to be going for $250.- to 350.-