Thread: Bootable eSATA in a Dual Core G5??

Default Bootable eSATA in a Dual Core G5??

OK, new dual core machine on my desk (and it rips, thanks!) Just added the Sonnet E4P/Burly multiplier to be able to continue using external data drives from the old machine (G5 rev.1, SeriTek 1SE2, Burly) All the new stuff works great.

Can't boot from the Sonnet card (I knew this.) What I didn't work out adequately was the lack of a bootable PCI Express card for this machine. Is there anything out there that will boot, and is also compatible with Seagate x.10 drives?

I see FirmTek has a new PCI Express card, but it doesn't say anything about being bootable. I want to have a "clone" of my boot drive that I can plug in and start up from. I could do this with the old setup, and got spoiled I guess.

I can imagine workarounds, but (as always) am looking for the "KISS" solution...

Tom

Default Firmtek

I think you are in luck... a quick call to them should confirm it is bootable (may be the only one that is...).

For sure, all the PCI and PCI-X Firmteks are bootable... err except the PCMCIA card and several early Hitachi's which act like a doorstop when attached to the Firmtek.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Here is the response from FirmTek support re: bootability with their PCI Express external board (2SE2-E.) I also asked about issues with Seagate drives, as this seems to be a recurring theme these days.

"the current firmware version is not bootable. However, in a couple of weeks, we're going to release the update with bootable."

"regarding the Seagate Barracuda drives, there are some issues with the 7200.9, 7200.10 and some with 7200.8. We reported to Seagate, and still waiting for the answers from their engineers. In the mean time, we suggest customers go with Hitachi SATA II drives."

So there it is for now. I will probably be trying one of these out, and will report back. LOVE being a guinea pig!

Rick, are you going to carry this new board?

Tom

We'll carry the card. Been somewhat lower on our list since we have been doing so much with the Port Multiplier card from Sonnet, that card is a killer when it comes to versatility. And it will be bootable once Sonnet engineers get through the current crop of new stuff with the Intel machines.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Is there any indication of when that might be? (HA!)

A workaround is looking better...

T