Thread: Retrofit problem - Burly SCSI --> SATA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Retrofit problem - Burly SCSI --> SATA

I've converted an older Burly 2-bay (beige, SN-D164761) from SCSI to SATA using new backplanes & cables (from Gurus of course, eSATA, for use with a Sonnet card.) The tracks, (bays, whatever you call the case-mounted part of the removable setup) were I believe extras which were shipped with some earlier style non-port-multiplier-type sleds I bought for a Burly SATA enclosure (black style.) I don't exactly remember where they came from, but they appear identical to those in the black Burly.

Everything went together well, but when I insert a drive sled, it gets no power (LED sleds - nothing lights up, no sounds from the drive.) The case and fan power up fine, but juice doesn't seem to be getting to the drives. I've triple checked all connections.

These same drive/sled combinations work fine in the black removable SATA Burly. Thoughts?

Thanks, Tom

Key power switch on the bays?

Must have power supplied of course. Other than that there is nothing to them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

OK, good suggestion (didn't try it because the drives power-up on insertion in the other cabinet, no key needed.) In the lower bay, this does power on the drive, but I get a dead fan error. The fan on this sled works in the other cab, and in the other bay in this cab.

In the top bay, it starts up as it does in the black cab - insert, and power comes on. The key only seems to lock/unlock the sled physically. No dead fan alarm.

The sheet that came with the sleds doesn't say - are there any jumpers to check on the bays themselves? I can take it all apart if needed, but if NOT needed...

Tom

Ussualy a dead fan means a wire is stuck in the fan blades. Check that out then see if you can get it to turn.

As far as powering the bays on, there are no jumpers. I thought all the Gurus hotswap bays were power on when inserted (not switched by the key). If the light doesn't go on then I would doubt the power supply first, check the power cord and try another one. I only mentioned the key power on thing since the old bays, over a year ago were that way. Wasn't sure what you had there.

If the light does go on but you are mentioning the drive not spinning, then I would suspect the data connection. New SATA drives won't spin until they make contact with the host bus controller.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Rick -

Sounds like I may have one old bay and one new. I'll run down your other suggestions too.

Tom