Thread: No choice for 'other' when trying to log in as root

Question No choice for 'other' when trying to log in as root

I am sure there is an easy fix to this that I just don't understand or get.....

I'm trying to follow Damien's instructions for moving the /Users folder. I've got everything I need to installed, got everything cloned, I went into NetInfo and enabled root user, re-read the instructions again, updated the cloned drive just to be safe, and then started the process.

Step 1, cloning, so far so good. No problem there.

Step 2, logging in as root. Problem

According to the Apple website, it says to do this:

....For Mac OS X 10.2 and later

If you are logged in, choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
    If you are logging in from a list of usernames with pictures, click Other.
    In the Name field, type: root
    In the Password field, type the password you defined in the steps above.....

The problem is, in my particular case, when I log out, I'm not given a choice for 'other.' All I have is the picture of the cat with my username next to it.

When I click on the picture of the cat, I get my user name again (Boyd) and a blank space to enter my password. My user name is NOT presented in an editable text box, because if it was, I would delete 'Boyd' and re-enter 'root'. Instead, the user name is unchangeable, and the only choices are to log in as Boyd, or sleep/shut down/restart.

I figured I must have done something wrong, so I rebooted the computer, went back to NetInfo, and found that yes, root access was indeed enabled. I tried the above procedure again, got the same problem. Just for S&G's, I tried entering the root password instead my user password. That didn't get me anywhere.

What am I doing wrong? Is this because the computer has only ever had one user (me)? I double checked the instructions, I read them twice, I made sure everything was in order...... did I miss something?

Why don't I have a choice for 'other'??? It seems like such a simple problem, but admit that I'm stumped.....

Last edited by Boyd 9; 08-20-2006 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added minor info

Calling unclemac................

I know he can get to the bottom of this. I remember having some similar problems on my Pismo, but it's been so long now i don't remember the fix. Sorry. My brain cell ain't what it used to be.

Go to System Preferences>System>Accounts>(if necessary unlock with your admin user's password)>Login Options>Display login window as: Name and Password.

Now when you go to the Login window, you can enter the name "root" and your root user password.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

What Bigs said.

10.2 is starting to be a fading memory, but that's exactly what I was thinking. As I recall, 10.4 (and maybe 10.3?) is smart enough to give you a user name and password box if root is enabled......or maybe I dreamt it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Thanks!

That sounds like it'll do the trick...... with no users other than myself, as I said, I've no real reason to go to that part of Sys pref's very often.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Lightbulb Almost forgot.....

Don't know if this works with 10.2, but with 10.4 you can use the arrow keys to highlight (not select) an admin user at the login window, and hit Appe + Return, and the login widnow with change from a list of users to a user and password box so you can enter root (or any other user name) manually.

Nice.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Got It!

Thanks all, and thanks unclemac for the quick tip. I like that Apple builds in little short-cuts like that from time to time.

Damien's instructions worked like a charm, except for one point, when you're supposed to change the "Users symlink" to "Users". The system would NOT let me do the change no matter what. I simply logged out, logged back in as root, made the change, logged out and back in again as normal, and presto, that did it.

Just one question now....... let's say I want to clone the users folder to another drive at some point in the future and do some maintenance on the old drive...... wouldn't you just go back into NetInfo Manager and change the pathway to the new drive, and then make a new symbolic link?

If I've got that right, I'd like to give myself a pat on the back...... if not, I guess I should read over the directions a few more times until I've got them memorized.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd 9
    Just one question now....... let's say I want to clone the users folder to another drive at some point in the future and do some maintenance on the old drive...... wouldn't you just go back into NetInfo Manager and change the pathway to the new drive, and then make a new symbolic link?

If I've got that right, I'd like to give myself a pat on the back...... if not, I guess I should read over the directions a few more times until I've got them memorized.

Back patting is a dangerous thing... but in this case you deserve it. The NetInfo changes and symlink is all you should have to do.
    Damien,