Thread: Seritek card and heat problems in 2002 QS

Default Seritek card and heat problems in 2002 QS

Most knowledgable Gurus,

I recently put in a new Seritek/1eSE2 card into a 2002 Quicksilver G4 Mac. Everything was great for a while, now I'm needing some help.

Hereís the quick rundown:
    CPU: 1.0 GHz (x2)
    RAM: 1.5 GB (3 x 512 MB sticks)
    Mac OS: 10.4.7 ĎTigerí (fresh install)
    Main HD: new 120 GB (Western Digital)
    Second HD: new 120 GB (Seagate)
    Third HD: 200 GB (running in RAID 0)
    Fourth HD: 200 GB (running in RAID 0)

PCI Cards Ė
    Slot 1: AGP Graphics - GeForce Ti
    Slot 2: Seritek/1eSE2 (attached to new ext. SATA storage box)
    Slot 3: SIIG UltraATA RAID (attached to HD 3 and 4)
    Slot 4: M-Audio 1010 LT audio
    Slot 5: Firewire/USB2 (3+2)

Itís a pretty stuffed graphics/audio/video Mac and is the heart of my freelance business. Recently I bought a quality external SATA case and put two (2) new SATA 400 WD GB drives for offline storage. After installing my Seritek card, I had a perfect working system for about 2 weeks. Everything was working as expected. Startup my ext. storage, start up my Mac, and both ext. drives mount and were visible on my desktop. Transfers were very nice, well for a 4+ yrs. old QS.

As of yesterday, the Mac hangs on startup. The only way to proceed past the gray Apple screen is to physically disconnect the cables from the Seritek card to the ext. SATA box. Since all the SATA hardware is new (Seritek card, cables, ext. box, and HDs), Iím just trying to troubleshoot at this point. Iíve tried to mount one drive at time and have had mixed results Ė sometimes they would mount, sometimes they wouldn't. Iíve tried many combinations of starting up, zapped the PRAM and reset the PMU. Any suggestions or help from the Gurus would be very welcome.

As a side note, heat is also a huge issue for this Quicksilver. I'm going crazy trying to keep this beast cool. Cracking open the case about 6" and moving a fan on a retractable arm over it to blow cool air in is the only way to keep the drives in the low to mid 30s as opposed to mid to upper 40s when the case is closed. Hot to the touch and has me worried. Could I have cooked that little SE2 card a bit? Everything else is performing normally.

Thanks again.

polar1

Talking Update - SeriTek and heat

After exchanging some helpful emails with a tech at SeriTek, I learned the 'quality' case I got was NOT up to the SATA spec. I got burned by a bargain and will have to use that other case for something later. I ended up buying a SeriTek hot-swap 2 drive case. Simple, well designed, and the mounting problem is solved. Thus far, reads and writes have been fast and reliable.

I've still got heat issues and I'm going to replace the 120mm case fan and the 60mm cpu fan. If I feel adventurous I may add an external heat stack with an 80mm fan sucking heat up a duct attached to the case (where the psu fan blows out) directing heat away from the cpu fan's intake.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556029427.html
    http://www.coolerguys.com/840556018537.html

I'm also tempted to yank the speaker out and put a small fan up front to suck in a small amount of cool air to give lower cross flow from front to back. I might even put one of these in the Zip drive bay to blow IN and give upper cross flow: http://www.frozencpu.com/slf-07.html?id=T7MVnuP9

I thought my 4.5 yrs. old ps was coming to an end, so I replaced it and also put in a new Pioneer 111 superdrive while I had it opened up. It's easy to get carried away doing all these upgrades. I went through a similar experience with my old PTP clone. Lots of tweaking trying to eek out a little more speed and life. Good thing there are places like this to learn and share all things Mac.

polar1

Often times intake fans are not as good as simply opening up intake ports. Especially with the smaller fans. You can actually get better airflow through a hole without a fan if your exhaust is good, and less noise/power consumption too.

With a QS I would be tempted to simply reverse the CPU fan, and create some more intake holes for fresh air.

I'm also tempted to yank the speaker out and put a small fan up front to suck in a small amount of cool air to give lower cross flow from front to back.
    I've thought about it too. But no go...

I never tried reversing a QS CPU fan. My QS/Giga project is on hold for a bit.