Thread: Raid not mounting

Confused Raid not mounting

Hello all,

I have been running a 4 disk sata striped raid for about 5 months with no problem.
    Yesterday the raid would not mount. In disk utility, it shows one slice offline and the other three as failed. I did notice that one slice seems to be s.m.a.r.t. recognized at one point, then I hear a click in the G5 and then that drive is not recognized. Right now all slices are S.m.a.r.t available, but no way to mount raid set.

Here is the console:

Aug 14 15:50:57 localhost kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/MacRISC4PE/ht@0,f2000000/AppleMacRiscHT/pci@7/IOPCI2PCIBridge/k2-sata-root@C/AppleK2SATARoot/k2-sata@0/AppleK2SATA/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 7B300S0 Media/IOApplePartitionScheme/Apple_HFS_Untitled_1@3
    Aug 14 15:50:57 localhost kernel[0]: BSD root: disk3s3, major 14, minor 12
    Aug 14 15:50:57 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRAIDSet::addMember() detected expired sequenceNumber (1) for member CB70D1B9-50ED-48B6-A595-BAD37E3F4EFB
    Aug 14 15:50:57 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRAIDSet::addMember() detected expired sequenceNumber (1) for member 6ABBAC99-473B-4CCC-B8FB-85ABE8A09465
    Aug 14 15:50:57 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRAIDSet::addMember() detected expired sequenceNumber (1) for member 588D4A48-B385-4760-AFE8-9217CE728CA9

Thanks,

Mac G5 2.0 dual 2.5gb ram OS 10.4.6
    Sonnet eSata 4x4 - just updated driver to 2.03 with no luck
    Internal 4 drive Raid- Maxtor 7B300SO
    Apple Raid

Mounting 4 extra drives inside a G5 is not the safest long term data investment you can make. Good way to cook off a drive. Best thing you can do is get those drives out in an enclosure where you can control the cooling and power supplied to them.

You don't say, but is the data backed up or temporary files that you don't need to recover? If so you can reformat the array. I would format each drive independently and write zeroes to it. Make sure it takes the same amount of time for each drive. Great test of drive quality.

If not and you need to get data off the array (shame on you for not backing up, especially a RAID0!) Then all I can suggest is get utilities that repair volumes and try and fix the array. All you can do. Disk Warrior et al is the only advice anyone can give you.

Best of luck.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the reply.

I do intend to externalize the drives when I upgrade shortly. Purchased this stuff before I found your site. FYI the drives are rated 41 - 131 degrees F and the hottest I've seen the drive run at is 103 degrees F. I ran a surface scan test with Techtool on the drive in question and the test just stops at a block about 10% in and freezes at that point. The program still thinks its scanning, but clearly it has not progressed past the 10% point. All other drives passed.

Thanks,
    Dave