Thread: WTF?!- sound issues on G5

Default WTF?!- sound issues on G5

I have a strange situation that pops up periodically with my G5. For some reason, it sometimes loses its sound output from QuickTime, Real Player, Flash, Safari- basically anything and everything except the actual Sound control panel (which only does the alert sounds anyway) and interface sound effects (like the *whoof* sound effect when you remove an item from the Dock). Turning Mute on and off does nothing, output volume does nothing, even rebooting doesn't change it.

For awhile I thought that it was happening every time I launched Audacity, and I never figured out exactly how to get the sound to work again, it just seemed to come back on its own after fiddling with it. So I just stopped using Audacity.

The problem hadn't shown up in awhile, and yesterday the machine's sound was functioning normally, until I tried watching an Ogg file of the Zapruder film using MPlayer, and of course it had all the playback problems I've ALWAYS had with ANY Ogg files (think Alvin and the Chipmunks), which is a separate issue and one of the reasons why I hate Ogg. But then I noticed, after that, that none of my other players would play back sound. Just like before. I also found that Flash or Real videos would only play for a few seconds (still without sound) and then pause on their own- unpausing wouldn't get them to work again, but dragging their seek bar a little would get them "unstuck".

Rebooting fixed the video playback problem, but did not restore sound. I was getting ready to edit a video of my brother's stand-up routine in San Francisco just now, and realized I couldn't do it because I can't hear it.

Everyone say it with me: "WTF??!!!"

Alright, this is getting really F'-in wiggedy. I launched MPlayer again and was able to play back a Windows Media Video (albeit without the video, but that's a different issue) and could hear the sound just fine. I opened a couple of different files in Audacity (even though I swore I wouldn't use it again) and they played fine too. Then I tried a file in QuickTime player and THAT played just fine. Thinking the problem had somehow resolved itself once again, I went back to Safari to see if Flash videos had sound again, and alas, they did not.

Then I discovered that some MPEG1 files that I recently shot with our new Sony H5 digital camera would NOT play back their sound in QuickTime player. In fact, it wasn't just that the sound couldn't be heard, their level meters weren't showing anything at all. I was starting to panic that somehow, when I transferred the files from the MemoryStick to my computer, the files had gotten screwed up and I'd lost the audio, but playing them back on a different machine proved that the audio is still there. Still, QuickTime Player on this G5 doesn't see it. Exporting audio is a grayed-out option too.

Also, with one of the videos, QuickTime player did the same thing just now that RealPlayer and Flash were doing yesterday- video pausing on its own at some point, in this case about half-way through, but moving the seek bar (or just tapping Pause) would get it to move again.

This is SERIOUSLY aggravating. It's the kind of thing where, if I had some PC-centric types in my department, they'd be all over me making fun of the Mac for it. Please, someone help me figure out what's going on, especially since rebooting doesn't actually MAKE EVERYTHING OK.

Application sound effects in Microsoft Office and Snapz Pro X are also not working.

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

anarch,

Have you looked at your settings in Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder? Seems to me that audio must be set for 44100.0 Hz, not 48. Worth a check anyway. k

Audi-midi-seti-WHA??

OK, um, I've never heard of that, I'll go check...

HOLY FREAKING MOTHER OF CRAP, IT WORKED!!!!!

Kaye, this G5 is officially YOUR BITCH now, you got that? Too bad I can't actually hand it over to you, it belongs to corporate. I'm sure you understand- if it was mine I'd take it to California and put it on your doorstep.

Uh no I wouldn't. Anyway, thanks a freakin' million man. What an inedible enigma wrapped in mystery meat. I guess MPlayer or Audacity (or both), when they're launched, go into MIDI Setup and change the output automatically, then they don't freakin' set it back when they quit. Idiot programmers, F***'in with my system...

Interestingly, the output was set for 96KHz, not 48, but when I set it to 48, that set it right and made it so I could hear everything once again. I went ahead and changed it again to 44.1 just to be safe. Thanks again Kaye.

BTW, I wished I'd thought about it while I was out there, but I just spent 6 days in Sans Jose, Francisco and ta Cruz. Not sure where in California you are, but if it's Alta Norte, it would've been nice of me to let you know I was in the general area, I guess.

I did have my brother drive me by Apple's campus- we went in the company store where I was disappointed they didn't have an Apple logo enamel pin to add to my collection. So we just drove around so I could take pictures of the icons representing 1-6 Infinite Loop. Little did I know the brand-spankin-new Mac Pros were lurking nearby.

Aww crap, I just checked your profile and saw that you're in Concord. My brother and I went to a book signing in Berkeley two weeks ago tonight. It was at Cody's on 4th. Then we went over to the Albatross for a few pints. They have board games available for patrons to play- I kicked some butt with my brother's friends on Connect Four.

You know, while I'm at it, I still don't understand this part...

Those MPEG1 files I took of my brother's stand-up act, when I couldn't hear them playing back in QuickTime, I also couldn't export their audio. Fixing the settings in Audio MIDI Setup made it so I could hear the audio- but I still can't export the audio. QuickTime is telling me there's no audio track in the file, which is BS, I can hear it. I guess QuickTime is fooled by the fact that the MPEG1 is muxed. Problem is, this is a huge file size- like 150MB for four minutes or so... and I need to edit it down and reduce the size from VGA to half-VGA. But QuickTime (I have Pro) won't let me edit the movie at all.

I can work around this by using Snapz Pro to re-capture the movie, but that's really going around my elbow to get to my asshole. Anyone know of any ways to export muxed MPEGs from QuickTime with the sound? I have Final Cut Express if that helps, although I can't seem to bring the files in with their attached audio...

See if iTunes will import it. It will convert it to something which QT can deal with. At least worth a try. k