Hi,
I run teleprompter for a major band. I use two white dual usb ibooks as they will run OS9. The only real pro prompter application for the mac never made it successfully to os X (accuprompt). I use two mini VGA to VGA adapters and run 100 ft of VGA cable to two VGA monitors. For no reason I can think of one day the monitors started going blank after 30 seconds as if they were going to sleep. The machines are set to NEVER sleep as are the displays, for battery AND power adapter use. I get a message on the monitors saying "not in optimum mode" and I usually just pressed the auto adjust button on the samsung (syncmaster 730B) flat screen and it would work fine. Now they both shut off after 30 seconds with no indication on the laptop displays. I swapped out the monitor and it was the same. I swapped out the computers with (sick) older ones and they worked. Apparently something changed on the computers........ at the same time. Puzzling......
I deleted the entire preferences folder. Rebuilt desktop, reset nvram and such in open firmware. It is not application based as the desktop disappears from the remote samsungs as well. What could be causing this.... what am I overlooking.... I'm wracking my brain..