Thread: Won't start-up

Default Won't start-up

I inherieted a 733Mhz G-4 which started up and worked fine running system 9 (9.2 I think). When looking around on it I came to the startup disk window which had a choice to start up in OSX. I gave it a try, big mistake. I only get to the smiling Mac, then a spinning rainbow ball in the upper left corner that freezes after a couple of seconds. I can't get it to start with a CD, If I disconnect the hard drive to try to force it to look for the CD, I get a question mark. Any ideas on how I can get it to forgive me?

There ae a couple of things you can try.

1 Start the machine while holding the "option" key. You should then get a choice of start up option, pick the OS9 option.

2 You can try a Pram reset by holding Command - Option- P-R all down when you start keep holding until you here the start up tone 4 times (some say twice) I had been told 4 and it has not failed me.

3 If you have a bootable CD, like a 9.2 install disk you can you can boot it by holding the C key to boot up. at that point you can go back to the start up window Control panel > Start up and select the OS 9 option. then restart.

You may have some corrupt files in the OS X partion that has created problems. My sugestion is to get a Tiger install disk, wipe the drive and start over. You will like OS X better that OS 9 and that machine should have no problem handling it take a look at Tiger

Good luck
    Lets us know how it goes
    Bob

Lightbulb

Avoid the inherited systems like the plague, at least OS X. Never want to use someone else's.

The only thing to be sure is that it is a working machine probably.

If you have a FW drive or spare ATA drive, might want to use those even.

I tried the option key. It did get me to a screen that gave me the start up options with one system icon (OSX) showing. When I hit the circular symbol it always came back the same (looking) icon. When I hit the right arrow button that shows, I get right back to the dead spinning wheel with the smiling little mac. I think it's starting to laugh at me.

If the pram rest did not get you back to were you started and the option key did not show you a bootable OS 9 then I would get a install disk and boot from there. You can then do a couple of things you best choice may be to just do a clean install and start over.

With the boot disk you should be able to search the HD to see if you have a systems folder for OS 9, change the startup drive, if you find the systemm folder that is. Run disk utikities and try to clean up any thing that might be corrrupt.

Again if the file s are not critical then a clean install would be the best, if you need to keep some you can try an archive install first, and always wipe the drive latter.
    Bob