Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Here's a stumper for you all

Sad news brane

Maybe it is time to give the UL3S a try?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Sad news brane

Maybe it is time to give the UL3S a try?

Regards

Nicolas
    I dunno. It seems that the Giga just doesn't like having 9 on anything but the internal ATA. That is the only time booting 9 is reliable is if there is only one 9 system in the box, and on the stock bus.

I think I'm gonna shoot Giga an e-mail, and get their thoughts on this before I throw in the towel, but at this point I'm afraid the reaper is looming for 9. I still have 3 other Macs that run 9 quite well.

I'll eventually go SATA for the tower for the cabling issue alone. It's mighty crowded in there with all these fat ribbons.

Dig this.

I just went, and booted the Gigabit. It's been sitting there off since I shut it down in disgust last night.

It booted into 9 on the Panther partiton on one of the Cheetahs.

I then proceeded to boot from every system on every partition, opening ASP on each, and playing with Contol Panels/System Prefs.

Everything is working fine now.

WTF?

Maybe it knew I was about to contact it's creator. Maybe it just needed a break.

I still don't trust it completely, but for now there is a stay of execution for 9.

Default I'll play stump the chumps!

I have been able to boot OS9, off the Firmtek Seritek/1S2, w/ a Seagate 7200.8 250GB SATA HD, with this Giga 1.6. Well none, with the exception of the Multiprocessing folder issue.

Then it seems that we are trading places again. I had my system crash tonight. Second time in last two weeks. I posted the log here OMG what have I done.
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 07-12-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Talking Hey Brane .......a little off subject, but

I hope everything stays up and running as planed!
    Just to change the subject for a second ... If you at some point decide that it's time for a faster SCSI card ......think of MEEEEEEEEE !
    Just a reminder, for those that might be interested.
    Running a 9600/xlr G3 500 rith 1.5 GB of ram.
    Main applacation - pro tools 5.
    Diffinately needs to be faster !
    I've got a nice home just waiting for "the big and bad MILES UW2".
    I do payPal !
    Thats all !!
    hazkell

If I ever decide to dump the Miles2 I'll give you first shot.

I ran some disk benchmarks last night. The Miles/Cheetah smokes the ATA66/WD JB in 9. In Panther it's still much faster on reads, but write speed drops to the high 20s. It's near 60 in 9.

I stuck the 001 in today, and did some testing with PTLE 6.4. 18 simultanious tracks in record, and playback booting from the ATA, and recording to the Cheetah. Obviously the low write speed is not an issue.

Everything is still working fine.

Voodoo.

Just got done with some more testing in PTLE.

Booting from one Cheetah, and reading the session from the other:

32 audio tracks, 4 aux, and a master fader. EQII, and CompII on each track, and a D-verb on each aux. CPU useage around 75%, PCI at 50%, Disk activity at 25%.

I think that'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    Just got done with some more testing in PTLE.

Booting from one Cheetah, and reading the session from the other:

32 audio tracks, 4 aux, and a master fader. EQII, and CompII on each track, and a D-verb on each aux. CPU useage around 75%, PCI at 50%, Disk activity at 25%.

I think that'll work.

GREAT Brane!

Regards

Nicolas

Thanks Nick.

You know I decided to stick the Trio back in to see just how much difference it made.

Same session ran fine on record (18 in) and playback (32/4 stereo aux/Master) with only slightly higher CPU useage. The Trio is only about 10MBps slower than the Miles on reads, and the write speed is actually a little better. The drives are also cooler, quieter, and larger.

I think I'll leave the Trio in the tower, and put the Miles/Cheetahs back in the Beige until I can get a SATA setup for the tower. The Miles seems to like 9 better anyway.

I don't know if it is a no no to Raid0 drives using with PTLE with Softraid or Remus?

Another suggestion, using the Cheetah just for the System and Application to speed things up a bit. Or using your UL3S or an UL3D is an option.

Regards

Nicolas

RAID is not supported with Pro Tools. There's really no need for it actually since the Trio does full track count with speed around 40MBps. I imagine it could cause problems on the PCI bus with the 001.

Noise, and temps/airflow are also considerations for this Mac. The Cheetahs are noticeably warmer, and louder than the ATA. Given the relatively small difference in CPU load between the two I think ATA trumps SCSI in this case. Pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    RAID is not supported with Pro Tools. There's really no need for it actually since the Trio does full track count with speed around 40MBps. I imagine it could cause problems on the PCI bus with the 001.

Noise, and temps/airflow are also considerations for this Mac. The Cheetahs are noticeably warmer, and louder than the ATA. Given the relatively small difference in CPU load between the two I think ATA trumps SCSI in this case. Pun intended.

Was just a thought cuz I found a copy of Remus which I don't need anymore.
    If ya were saying this could be an option you could have it for free.

BTW I sold one of my UL3D-66 cards yesterday to a friend he was using this card for about a month on his Digidesign setup without a single problem (G4 MDD Dual 1.25GHz). He also was afraid running into "glitches" usin' this card but he was outa luck getting a UL3D-00. I guess ATTO fixed this issue with the last firmware update in some way. I'll keep ya informed on this.

BTW #2
    Bought an empty G5 Tower now I am about to do some layout of a custom 10+2 drives cage with active cooling and noise reduction and a 400W PSU.
    Will take some time but I guess something for the mods and hacks section

Regards

Nicolas

BTW I sold one of my UL3D-66 cards yesterday to a friend he was using this card for about a month on his Digidesign setup without a single problem (G4 MDD Dual 1.25GHz). He also was afraid running into "glitches" usin' this card but he was outa luck getting a UL3D-00. I guess ATTO fixed this issue with the last firmware update in some way. I'll keep ya informed on this.
    Do you know which Digi setup he's using? If it a TDM/HD setup they are more prone to the PCI issues since they use PCI cards for audio processing. If he simply limited the max transfer rates that could work. If I was up against the CPU hard I would probably keep the SCSI, but I don't use a lot of plug-ins or virtual instruments so the ATA is better for me.

BTW #2
    Bought an empty G5 Tower now I am about to do some layout of a custom 10+2 drives cage with active cooling and noise reduction and a 400W PSU.
    Will take some time but I guess something for the mods and hacks section
    That sounds very cool. When I was out to visit my folks a while back the old man was building a new AMD system, and while his case was kinda ugly it did have a very nice drive cage setup. I've been thinking of making something similar myself.

More projects.

Back on the Gigabit now. Restored my original boot drives from saved disk images, and everything is working fine so far. Feels good to be back in the black. The Pismo is cool, but this thing is so much faster at everything it's stupid.

He was using a Digi001 then he switched to ProTools HD1.
    Duno what this means but I guess you do

But also there is the "Qualified SCSI HBA Warning"

Regards

Nicolas

Very late to this party mainly because I have not been on my GigaMDD but here goes.
    1. I have three drives with both OSX and 9.2.2 on one volume, not separated. One is on the ATA66 internal bus. One is on the internal ATA100 bus. And one is on an Acard 6885M. All three boot various versions of OSX and 9.2.2. I have another Tiger only drive on another channel of the 6885M. No problems booting to any of these, OSX or 9.2.2.

2. The three drives with 9.2.2, the Multprocessing folders in each, only have one item, Apple CPU Plugins. Doing a Get Info on it, Mac OS CPU Software 5.1, Version 3.9, Apple, July 31, 2002. No idea if it should be there but the 9.2.2 systems work.
    k

kaye does your MDD Giga board use the 7447? I think they are the only one that have a problem with the Multiprocessing folder.

My system software is now back to what it was before the case mods, an it's humming along great. Dunno what happened, but sometimes we go on these little adventures.

7455 (Apollo) v3.3 with L1 Cache 64K (32K instruction and 32K data), L2 256K @ 1.42GHz, and L3 2048K @ ?GHz. k

Yeah, you got one of the good ones.

Bet it would smoke my 1.6 with that L3 even on the same bus.

I don't recall at what point the 7455 and 7447 are at break even because of the L3 or no L3. As I recall it varies and really depends on what you are doing. k