Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: G4 airflow hacks!

Looking in the exhaust port from the back:

Here's the whole back of the thing. Notice the PCI slot blower in slot #2. I flipped it over in it's bracket, and removed the senseless grill bars on the mount.

Here's what it looks like from the inside. The intake is right next to the GPU sink. Not that the GF2 really needs it, but I'm planning ahead for a possible 9800. It's moving a lot of air, but it's kinda noisey so I may undervolt it to quiet it down.

Thumbs up

Ohhhhhhh! Very Nice! I really like the CPU set up, ingenius.

I think that if you could have found some way to use some bailing wire the folks at the RedGreen Show might give you an honoray membership to the posum lodge

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    Here's what it looks like from the inside. The intake is right next to the GPU sink. Not that the GF2 really needs it, but I'm planning ahead for a possible 9800. It's moving a lot of air, but it's kinda noisey so I may undervolt it to quiet it down.
    If you plan on a 9800Pro you definatly don't want the genuine ATI fan

Something like this:
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=36

It is BIG and it is silent!

And yes, nice work Brane!

Regrads

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Thumbs up

Very nice work Brane.

Thumbs up

Yeah! I agree!
    Nice work man!
    This is why they call you BRAIN! .... BRANE!
    Now you got me thinking about the 9800 card again.
    I just last night ordered a new Canon canera .... now I 'll be able to post pics from my next hack job.

Real "slick" ......... h

Thumbs up Thanks guys.

I need a new camera too. The old HP is so big, and slow I'm loath to really use it much. I need to find a simple, small, rugged, and fast camera to take out on the bike with me so I can take some shots while I'm riding. Hell maybe I should just go for a video setup.

The DA is so much quieter now it's stupid. It's almost as quiet as the old Beige G3! The exhaust temps are barely warm when working it hard. The Giga fan whine did mask the whine of the Raptor pretty well though. The Raptor's head noise is really noticeable now, but it just reminds me of my old SCSI drives. If I didn't know better I'd say my old 8600 is down there under the desk.

Brane, Can I send the CD, Books and stuff later? You have it right? It's here and I might find it. It got lost during my carpet install and room cleaning.

Thumbs up

Hey Brane,
    I'm so glad that it worked out great ..... now I can use that idea ..... just like when I started playing guitar ..... peat and repeat the best licks for myself.

I just picked up an Canon A640 camera .... 10MPs and the best part for me .... video recording ... by next month this time I'll be 100% YOUTUBE capable.
    With youtube, I beleave you can upload / play a ten
    minute video.

Check out the Canon powershots sometime.
    Kaye and a few others around here also know of them.
    I have a small thread about them in "videophiles"

uaugh ..... me kill 2 birds ..... one stone.

I think I'll have to do another mod like yours ..... now and very soon.
    My DA has variable speeds with manual control ....... all the way from whisper loud ..... to LOUD LOUD.

I now know why .... you always wear headphones ... .when your on your box..... like me.

It would be KOOL to be able to post small DYI videos on youtube.com .... better yet ..... right HERE!
    I can see Brane saying something like "right here ..... tonight ....."

Not only that ..... but you audio ..... nuts could also do your own original background scores ..... and then you could .....you know ummmmm ..... this place is really starting to feel like ..........................
    "Thanks Ricks!"

h

Cool No more duct tape!

I finally got around to fabricating a real duct for the CPU blower. My original plan was to make a cardstock mockup of the pieces, and then use some thin ABS plastic I had left over from repairing the fairing on my bike to make the duct.

Well, after I got the mockup pieces cut, and taped into place I got to thinking: the air coming out of the blower is really not very hot. I decided the plastic would be overkill. The thick cardstock covered with fiberglass packing tape should be just fine in there so I went with it. You can see the speed switch mounted to the right of the duct.

I also got rid of the original molex power adaptor for the blower power, and wired it to the Giga fan connector.

Here's the rear view looking in the duct, and the speed switch mounted above.

You can really see the offset of the blower exhaust here compared to the hole in the backplate, and the seams in the duct's upper/lower walls. It splits apart just like the blower housing for easy removal.

With the wiring cleaned up this thing isn't looking half-bad inside now.

You'll notice that I removed the single-slot PCI blower. It really wasn't contributing much to keeping things cool, but it was contributing to the overall noise. It found a more important job blowing cool air across the CPU in my 9600.

Thumbs up Lookkin' Good

Cleaned up, but still has that home built, down on the farm look. Which I like.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just an update for those that care. LOL

Actually this is specifically for unclemac since his 4Ti fan died too. I wanted to show what I did since finding a fan for that card is next to impossible.

I bought a single-slot version of the PCI cooler that I used for the CPU. I removed the grill bars, flipped it over in it's bracket, and wired it to 7V off the HDD connector. Since the 4Ti is a full-length card it practically divides the inside of the case into two halves. Having an additional exhaust fan below the card keeps the lower part of the case cooler. Having it right next to the 4Ti's bare heat sink with the airflow from the case fan keeps the card plenty cool. It has been flogged hard with my high ambient room temps with no heat issues.

So this is it for the ol' DA. Unless something goes wrong with it this is how it will stay until it gets replaced. All my money at the moment is going into the new bike fund.

A couple pics:

Talking I do

I was going to look this thread up. Need to cool mine better and was looking for tips.

Nice.

Yup, I shall be heading down the same road...for the time being I super-glued a spare chunk of heat sink to the factory sink. Had room because of an empty slot, and left the slot cover out so the air can move a little bit.

Way, way ghetto hack, but the added on chunk gets very warm, while the factory sink is much cooler than before....so it is helping.

Next up, modded slot fan like this. Thanks for the inspiration.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin