Thread: Hmmm I found a reason not to buy a mac.

Default Hmmm I found a reason not to buy a mac.

I have a IMac 20" that I need the restore cd's for. They where thrown out with the box (end users argh) and now it is having problems and the restore cd's are required.

Apple does not sell the restore cd's for this product anymore.

Does anyone know where I can get these cd's from, either buying or downloading, or something??????

HP can sell me restore disks from my hp desktop that is 7 years old. I shouldn't have bought a mac.

Not to ask a stupid question, but my brain cannot think of a reason a restore cd would be more useful than a retail OS installer..... My brain has more bugs than a Dell computer though, so it could just be my lack of imagination.

We have lots of Macs here,. And once we have upgraded them beyond the original OS revision they shipped with we never touch the CDs that came with them ever again. I have stacks of the silly things. None for an iMac though, we never do much testing of iMacs since there is little to test of after market stuff on em.

I don't think you will have a problem locating the original CDs. Not that uncommon. I just couldn't think of a reason why you would want to. Hate it when that happens

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Not to ask a stupid question, but my brain cannot think of a reason a restore cd would be more useful than a retail OS installer..... My brain has more bugs than a Dell computer though, so it could just be my lack of imagination.
    I'm with you on that Rick because I usually have more current version of OS X and the additional 3d party (current or recent) anyway.

Can only think of one situation where the Restore CDs come in handy: when they have the only version of 9.x capable of booting the Mac or for Classic. Picked up a set for the MDD precisely for that reason, since only the 9.2.2 version on the Restore CDs can actually boot an MDD.

Yeah.....your gonna wanna keep the media, on any platform. On current Macs:

• OS license or proof of purchase (as close as you can get with Apple) and boot disk
    • Restore software
    • Hardware Test software (of limited value....but worth keeping)
    • iLife Suite
    • Other software nuggets (not much, but usually a few)
    • Apple blessed printer drivers, which can now (so I read) be updated via Apple Software Updater. Downloaded drivers will not show up in Software Update
    • Some of the latest hardware won't work with retail OS media....too new to from boot it. This is fun.

Even if you have a retail OS disk, I suggest always keeping all the OEM media. I know, too late.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You might try looking at ebay there were many install disks for iMacs. Contact the seller and ask what the iMac was, when you find a match, buy it.

That's about your only option. Seems as though the most recent Mac OEM disks validate hardware pretty well, so be careful to try and get exactly the right disks from someone with exactly the same model.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin