Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: G4 airflow hacks!

Cool G4 airflow hacks!

Or my God what have I done?

It looks like your really ready and doing it right. on that sucker and keep us posted. I have to remodel my DA. Good luck, - Randy

What you don't see in that pic is the Giga dual 1.6, and PCI cards safely tucked away in antistat bags. Or the beer.

The first thing that needs to be done is get more hot air out of the case. After perusing quite a few sites with G4 cooling mods it's quite obvious that the single 80mm PSU fan can't get the job done with 4 drives, and a dually CPU. I could get an 80 that would move more air, but it would also make a lot more noise. I need to add another exhaust fan.

I've seen the "blowhole" fan mods, but I don't like the idea of having open fans on top of the machine. There seems to be a bit of space on the backplate though. Hmmmmmmmm.........

I bought one of these at Fry's, and removed the grills ( I hate grills- well not my Weber kettle It'll fit perfect where the CPU fan sits in the DA/QS machines, and will move more air with less noise since it's a true blower not an axial fan. The metal grill was simply pried off with a small screwdriver, and the switch removed. The plastic grill was removed with diagonal cutters (heretofore referred to as "dikes"), and the opening cleaned up with a rounded file, and an Exacto knife.

Thumbs up

Inspiring!

Been rounding up pieces/parts for a cooling project myself....though I wasn't planning on taking everything out.

Do give us the play by play. You planning to cut an exhaust hole up bu the CPU?

Weber, eh?

Good man. Gas is for cars. And bikes.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I didn't really want to disassemble the entire thing, but there will be some serious metal removal goin' on. I don't want to risk any stray chips/dust getting into slots or other critical parts. Better to play it safe. I may end up doing some cable re-routing as well.

The blower will be mounted on the backplate next to the ports with the intake pointed toward the logic board. There's a small heat sink there (memory controller?) that will benefit from the increased airflow, and it's toward the top of the case to help get the hottest air out.

I'll be making more holes in the bottom to aid in drive cooling, and building a duct from the 120mm fan to the CPU. The stock Giga fans are whiney, and don't move any more air than a single low-speed 120. They also feed the sink preheated case air not fresh cool stuff. Cooler air supply with less airflow means adequate cooling with less noise. Quieting the box is the primary objective here.

With the price of gas these days I don't understand why anyone would want to cook with it when there's mesquite charcoal available.

Default Great job!

Hi M.Brane,
    You did a good job removing all those stuff. Tried to do that but seems electrical is not my thing. Cant figure the amount of work needed to do that. I did some mods on my Sawtooth sometime ago and got a 120mm fan from my old 9600 and worked fine. Thought I could install a Dual 1.8 but some said that the power supply wont handle the requirements I needed. Ended up using my Sawtooth a DVD player. Well, I did not remove anything except the plastic cover on top. Have enough room to mask white 13 gal. trash bags inside the computer to catch those metal debris and dust. Using a Dremel cutoff tool worked. Took me less than 10mins to do the cutting. TZ gave me a link before and found a circular metal cutting tool but they dont ship here in US. Its from UK.

(Mod picts)

Sorry images too big, I'll post them later.

Default Cutting hole

Hi, Got the link where to find hole cutters here - http://aqua-mac.com/quicksilvermodsw.html but the I checked the price for those about $89.00 for Q-Max. 79mm hole cutter. Since you have all your electronics taken out, machine shop can punch a hole any size you want. I took mine but, they wanted me to remove all electrical since they use coolant when cutting, but possible. Here are some of the picts after I cut mine. (picts) http://creativisions.com/sawtooth.html
    Goodluck

Default Looks good

Looks effective and well done. Nice job Disc2. - Randy

Cool Disc2 thanks for the links, but like I said I don't want the "blowhole" fan mod as I frequently set things on top of the box like my iPod, camera, etc, and that puts a noise source close to my left ear.

Basically what I'm doing is increasing the airflow while not straying too far from the original design i.e more intake holes in the bottom around the drives, and a secondary exhaust fan. Beisdes the space above the optical drive is where the second PSU will live.

I got the additional holes drilled, and the blower mounted last night, but haven't had time to put the pics up yet. Picked up a couple new fans today. I need to clean the case out, and re-assemble it since I'll be needing it operational by the weekend. The duct for the CPU is something I can work on by simply opening the case. I need the CPU, and fan mounted anyway for measuring.

More pics soon.

Default On to the serious hacking!

Of course the first thing to do is measure where to cut the hole for the blower. The small rectangle is for the speed switch.

Measure twice cut once.

Next is to drill holes in the corners so they come out clean, and to give me some room for the cutoff wheel.

Yes I'm using a professional die grinder for cutting chores. Dremels are for amateurs.

No turning back now.

So you now see why I decided to disassemble the entire Mac. Serious metal removal with air tools, and logic boards don't mix.

I left some material on the bottom of the hole, and bent it back to create a mounting tab for one side of the blower. I made a simple bracket for the other side.

Here's what it looks like mounted up. It will need to be removed to re-install the logic board.

Another view.

From the back.

Here's some of the additional intake holes I made in the bottom of the case to let more fresh air in around the drives.

From the inside: