Thread: Install Seagate sata2/ need help

Default Install Seagate sata2/ need help

aerial black

I have a power mac g4 dual1.42 ghz 2 gig memory osx 10.2.8 167
    mhz and just bought a Seagate 300 g sata2 hard drive. I need to know what I need to hook this up. I have no clue.
    Creel Snider

Lightbulb

It should work with most SATA controllers. Sonnet, SeriTek etc.

Would help to know if internal or external, but most important, what model Seagate - 7200.9? and if so, what firmware on the card (should be on label).

Hit the FAQ Index: SATA Drives, Controllers too.

Confused more info on segate hard drive for TZ

mhz and just bought a Seagate 300 g sata2 hard drive. I need to know what I need to hook this up. I have no clue.
    This is a barracadua 7200.9 and the firmware is 3.aad. I can only fly the thing not fix it so I need real simple explainations. This is the first thing I have installed besides memory and that was easy.
    Creel

What TZ said was, you need a SATA controller. Something like this.

Your G4 (all G4s) can only use PATA drives, not SATA drives, so in order to use an SATA drive, you first need to install a SATA controller card. Otherwise, your only other option is to return the SATA drive and buy a PATA version.

Make sense?

Below is a pic from an Apple manual that shows removing a PCI card....you need to install a PCI card (like the one I linked to above), then plug a cable from the new PCI SATA controller card to your new SATA drive.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by leerc
    This is a barracadua 7200.9 and the firmware is 3.aad. I can only fly the thing not fix it so I need real simple explainations. This is the first thing I have installed besides memory and that was easy.
    Creel
    You are in a real bind it seems, with older Seagate firmware on that model, means that either it won't be bootable, won't work, and your choice of SATA controller.

I hope you were able to return/exchange the drive for either PATA or another vendor's drive, or the "correct" model/firmware to work on a Mac.

Maxtor DM10 or MaxLine III, Hitachi T7K250, would be good choices. And visit the FAQs.