5 9.26%
  • iBook or PowerBook G3/G4

6 11.11%
  • Waiting for Mac Pro "G6" (Intel)

1 1.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is your primary Mac?

Talking I'm finally going Macbook Pro..End of an era? NOT!

I have been with Macgurus since 2001 when I decided to rev up my Power Tower Pro and make it a screamin' analog digital processing machine. It has served me well in that capacity for several years and I still use it for analog video. Thanks to Kaye, Dragon and other patient contributors and guru's, I was able to install an ATI graphics analog capture card, and build my own Burly (with 2 4.5gig seagate boat anchors striped into a 0 RAID). I then went on to stripe two 18GB seagate 7200 RPM HDs and build a hanger in my CPU using erector set brackets. I also upgraded to the processor to 500MHz. Those were the days. I still get misty when I hear the term SCSI.
    It's been so many years of reliable service, I can't even remember how I did it all, and you must forgive me if I have the terms a bit fuzzy.
    I have a stock beige Tower G3 300MHz I used for internet and small jobs at home for years, still going strong.
    I have a 15" G4 powerbook, (last build) with a 1.67MHz processor, 2GB DDR2 of RAM. This is my daily use tool now that I live on the road. Lately the fans have been screaming so I had them replaced, my tech says my book still looks new both inside and out, despite the heavy AVCHD processing I do on it all day and night in primitive surroundings. I use my Palm 700wx as a modem so I have wireless internet under battery power often.
    But...the day has come. I finally ordered a 17" unibody Macbook Pro. 2.92 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB, 320GB Serial ATA Drive, (which will be swapped out by my Tech on arrival for a Western Digital, Scorpio Black, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache, 320GB). The stock internal HD will be placed in an icy dock external enclosure USB2 for back-up. Then I ordered a Western Digital RE3 Enterprise Class HDD, 1TB, 32MB Cache, SATA Rosewill RC-605 SATAll Express card 2 x eSATA.
    This will be my primary video processing unit for AVCHD files from now on, working native, (sorta) in FCP and imovie 09.
    Thanks guys for teaching me so much about the inside of my computers that my job was always easier and more stable through the years. The lessons you taught kept me thinking and working smart to this day. Not bad for an old Grandma from Minnesota!
    Still working on deadline...

Default What is your primary Mac?

Since making the switch to Mac (not really, I still own 4 PCs) in 2003, I've owned:

A G3 iMac DV Graphite (400 mHz)
    A PowerMac 6400 (180 mHz)
    A G3 iMac Indigo (300 mHz)
    A G4 Cube (600 mHz)
    2 G4 iMacs (iLamps) (1.25 gHz)
    A 1st generation G5 iMac (1.8gHz)
    A G4 Mac Mini (1.25 gHz)
    and now a 13" MacBook Pro (2.26 gHz)

At one time I had four Macs crammed into a big corner desk, all working at once.

With the exception of the G3 Graphite, (those things were bomb proof) I have run every one of them until it simply wouldn't go anymore. That 1998 iMac DV is still running strong according to the guy I sold it to.
    Last edited by Greentree_uk; 09-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"

Default We should start this again.

I voted back when I had/used my G4 daily. Now I'd vote iMac. but we can't vote twice.

Going back to TZ's first post on this poll, he sez:

Results will not be public, and you may make more than one selection.
    (The poll on WD Raptor was single choice and public.)

Something is wrong. You should be able to vote more than once. I don't know why you can't. k

Default I can't see how...

Unless I select "Edit Poll" and manually add it.

Unless I select "Edit Poll" and manually add it.
    That worked.

Randy are you doing a new poll?

Default No or I was not planning to

If you want..... go ahead. Might be interesting to see the change.

A while back I just manually added 1 number to the iMac's current number. So now I have a G4 vote and an iMac vote.

no idea how to do it.

Since 2001, I've had-

1) A DA dual 533 MHz g4 tower. A friggin workhorse.
    2) An iBook G3 15" laptop (white). Another, seemingly indestructible piece of Apple hardware. I even dropped it onto a ceramic tile floor. Picked it up and kept working.
    3) A Powerbook G4. Ran it for years until I fried the HD by not letting it breathe properly. Replaced the HD and gave it to my sister, and bought-
    4) A MacbookPro. Currently seeing light use. Will use mostly when I travel for business.
    5) My current MacPro used for professional visual effects work.