View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Thread: 150GB Raptor native SATA support?

Lightbulb 150GB Raptor native SATA support?

Are using the WD 10K 150GB Raptor:

Does it work as boot drive?
    Do you use it only with native G5 ports?
    Do you have PCIe? PCI/PCI-X?
    3rd party controller? SeriTek? Sonnet? RocketRAID? something else?
    Using Dual Core G5, and using 150GB Raptor only with 3rd party controller.

Update: With WD now coming out with new 36 and 74GB Raptors based on the 150GB model, will these newly revised models work or not w/o using SATA controller?

I know the new Raptor model(s) needs a controller to work in PCI/PCI-X for proper operation based on reports and WDC FAQ, but some people are trying to use it.

For Raptor to work:

System does not freeze, no problem on large file copies, and no other issues, and able to use as boot drive.

If it doesn't work as boot drive, does it work otherwise, for RAID? capturing video? not sure?

For reference you can check three threads:
    Hardmac: WD 150GB & Quad G5
    WD 150GB Raptor Announced
    Quad G5 and Raptor 150 OK? MacGurus forum discussion
    FAQ: SATA Drives
    XLR8yourmac Drive Upgrade DB
    After asking and researching, and talking to members, I've come to believe that Apple's SATA chipset in the PCIe G5 is able to support the 150GB Raptor natively, but that older PCI and PCI-X G5s will not for some reason.

If anyone knows what chipset Apple uses, that might help, too.

WD still has a blanket statement that all G5s will have issues, and they haven't broken it down into PCI vs PCIe.

Are the PCIe Dual Core G5s the 3rd revsion?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Mine works on the Apple controller but I use it for a users drive and have never tried to boot from it also I have no really large files which I heard were a problem. My biggest file would be about 9 gigs. I don't do any finder copies with a file that large though, my biggest file that gets moved around is probably around 5gigs. I do capture video to it via a formac Studio and have no issues

My G5 is a Rev A PCIX Dual 1.8ghz. it is THE first G5 released
    Damien,

I have 4x Raptor1500 in two small external enclosures. Connected to a SeriTek/1VE4 in my GigaMDD PCI and G5 PCI-X. The Raptors are for scratch and never have long term storage on them. Never tried to boot from them. k

TZ - our Quad and the 150 GB Raptor get along perfectly. Would you please load my response into the poll?

Thanks,

Rick

I have a G5 quad and use the Raptor150 as a boot drive and everything seems to work good. It has only been used for boot and no other info is on the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Willc73
    I have a G5 quad and use the Raptor150 as a boot drive and everything seems to work good. It has only been used for boot and no other info is on the drive.
    Willc73 - do you have ONLY your OS on the Raptor 150, which is how I read your post? If so, what is your thinking on such a large drive with so little on it? Where do your applications reside?

Thanks

I have the Raptor 150 as my boot drive with my applications. I use a seperate disk for Users folder. I also use a seperate disk for scratch and seperate disks as working disks for photoshop.

It says I can't vote. I haven't voted yet.
    Bill Cahill

I read the FAQs on polls and don't see any reason why a Member can't vote in your poll. Looks good to me. k

Question

I voted .... then un-voted. TZ's right anyone should be able to vote - we need the data or info. Might have to check with Laurie.

Would love to vote, tried other browsers, it just says you may not vote.
    Is it because I am new to this forum?

Is it because I am new to this forum?
    No it should make no difference. You are a registered member. It must be a software snafu. We very rarely use polls here so we might be learning something here ... or at least I am. Hang in there. - Randy

Unhappy

TZ - I get a message in the button that I may not vote. My Raptor works great but I do not know how to "vote".

Lightbulb

If you could not vote before, please re-try. Polls were disabled for members but moderators have a separate set of options.

As long as you have .Mac and iDisk, or another online storage, you can use the IMG tag code. If it is 39K you might be able to attach and upload, maybe not.

Will take longer to change the forum editing time-out, but being looked into (along with an update or later version of v.Bulletin software).

Lightbulb Include the new 36/74GB model

With WD coming out with new 36 and 74GB models that are based on the 150GB, I am expecting that there will be a problem on native SATA bus as well.

Anyone who wanted a 10K Raptor for their PCI/PCI-X G5 might want to buy one of the older series before those are gone.

I may not vote on this poll.......
    still

Lightbulb Taken from MacIntouch

Konrad Pfister
    I also have a Raptor 150GB in a Quad. I don't have any issues with it, worked without a hitch ever since I installed it.

Kip Kumler
    I have the same model Raptor (as Thierry) in a Quad and, while I have not had problems copying to/from it, I have had problems getting it to mount, especially as the boot volume. Very hit or miss, sometimes taking a dozen attempts or more.
    I have no idea what the problem is or what to do.

Thierry Coopman
    I recently bought a WD Raptor 150 GB (WD1500ADFD-00NLR0). I installed this in Bay 'B' of an early 2005 PowerMac G5 with a 2x2.3Ghz CPU and 2.5 GB RAM and tried to Carbon Copy the system, with plans on using it as a boot drive in the future.

This failed several times after copying +-10GB to it, with the following error message in the logs:

kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.

I have found that the only solution would be to install an extra PCI SATA controller. Even Western Digital states that they are incompatible. I Have read some success stories on the newer Quad G5 though.

WD 400GB SATA WD4000YR, WD4000KD
    Ivan Drucker
    Western Digital has now stated that the WD4000KD drive (and some others) don't work in Power Mac G5's:

"The Apple G5 tower does not support certain standard Serial ATA interface protocols used by the WD4000YR, WD4000KD, WD1500AHFD, and WD1500ADFD hard drives resulting in an interface lock-up. This causes the computer system to hang. The only work-around we have identified at this time is installing a SATA Host Bus Adapter (controller card), effectively circumventing the on-board interface."

The URL to this article is:
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....p?p_faqid=1415

There is a long thread with user comments about this specific issue at
    http://xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/WD4000_G5problems.html
    and it is suggested there that the problem might not affect dual core machines, but it definitely seems to be present in single-core machines. I've ordered my SATA card.

John Griffin
    Very strange that your WD 400 drive is incompatible with your Mac. I just had the 400 Gig Caviar placed in my new iMac iSight and it runs very nicely. Benchmarks are awesome. In my opinion, it is one of the most compact, quiet and cool running drives on the market.

MacIntouch: WD hard drives

Lightbulb Raptor in RAID0

Raptor 150 and RAID 0 - Lionel - 23:02:00
    http://www.hardmac.com/news/2006-04-26/#5418

Thomas reports an important information for Mac users wishing to use Raptor 150 HD in RAID 0 in PMG5.

Indeed, there are currently 2 references for this HD: WD1500ADFD-00LR0 and WD1500ADFD-00LR1.

But only the Raptor 150 WD1500ADFD-00LR1 can be used with RAID 0 settings in a PMG5 (Quad in his case).

Information obtained from Western Digital confirmed this problem.

We have asked our partner Macway to investigate the problem. They have also confirmed to have many reports of problem with this HD in PMG5 (even without using a RAID 0 settings). We have asked them to repeat tests with the Raptor WD1500ADFD-00LR1 to identify which PMG5 can use without problem this fast and powerful HD.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have finally found a situation where I can produce the Raptor 150's incompatibility error on my Rev A G5. I have had this drive since January-ish and have never until now even seen the issue.

So I got a new 60gig iPod video. Whether using iTunes or the finder the UI locks up if I try to transfer more than about 4 gigs at a time. I can drag and drop in 2 gig increments all day long. 4 gigs locks up every time.

Time to move that raptor onto my Firmtek card I guess
    Damien,

Lightbulb

Damien,

That pretty much confirms the "no go on PCI/PCI-X" theory.

I need to look through the iMac discussions and reports to see if it will work in MacIntel units.

I guess it is possible that 10.4.7+ could change the equation - Sonnet has been able to patch the firmware on their 4+4 to support any/all Seagate 7200.9s (before you needed later models with "E" firmware or update the firmware on older models to "H".

If only WD could also update their firmware IF that would help. Right now I think WD is THE vendor in the SATA market probably.

Lightbulb Not really a "vote" but...

Well... Recieved and installed 150GB Raptor in my G5 Quad...
    As it is the boot disk, it works more than fine, because of its speed.

I happen to have all data on a RAID, but I do notice that all usual application operations are a little bit quicker to do stuff...

In terms of sound, I can modestly hear it over all other noise, but it sounds like small, brief and pleasant wind chimes... All sound goes away (that I can hear) as the disk gets a little more data...

So, for those of you that are interested, the 150GB Raptor works just fine in the most recent Apple G5 Quad....

Cheers,
    Tyvol