Thread: Sonnet giving me mega headaches!

Default Sonnet giving me mega headaches!

I bought 4 Sonnet 1.8ghz G4 upgrades for Quicksilver 733 and 800mhz machines.
    I installed the first one having put in OSX first, wouldn't boot, no processor chime at all. Fearing the worst for that mac I put it into the second one booted up but then went to sleep and wouldn't wake up and then wouldn't boot at all. I put the old processors back in both, wouldn't boot with those either!
    Took off all power to the mobo and reset it, left it for a while and eventually I got the first one to boot again in OS X (10.4.6, brand new DVD). I decided to try the software installation and firmware upgrade on the installation CD although it states it shouldn't be necessary with Quicksilvers. Put the Sonnet back in and dead again. Another hour of messing around and I get it working again, but back on the old processor.
    I tried the second processor in the third mac and had the same result as before, struggling to make it boot and then when it would boot going to sleep and not waking up.

Suggestions anyone?

One other problem that I had was installing 10.4.6 on the first 733, a problem that I have encountered twice before. Installs ok but when it goes to restart gives the Apple but instead of booting through it shows up with a circle and diagonal line through it and then stops.
    The first time I came across this, in a G4 800, I got round it by successfully installing 10.3 instead, which I did again today. I did the same today but afterwards I took a drive out of one of the other macs and put that in and it ran 10.4.6 just fine.
    So I put the problem drive into the mac I had successfully installed 10.4.6 on and put 10.4.6 on to the problem drive, and it was still a problem!

I therefore have to conclude that there can be an issue with drives in 10.4 that doesn't come to light with 10.3 - anyone come across this one before?

PMU/Open Firmware resets?

What's the RAM status? Any mismatched or of unknown/questionable origin? Tested thoroughly?

I ran into that Tiger install issue the first time I tried it on my Pismo. Wiped the drive, re-installed, and it booted fine. After playing with it a bit I wiped it again, and went back to Panther. Didn't feel like Dashboard, and Spotlight were a good trade for iPhoto.

Memory seems to be ok, I did swap out some of the sticks but nothing changed. The only thing that allowed them to boot eventually was going back to the old processors.
    What stopped me doing clean installs was it was onto the single drive in the macs and that would have meant backing all the OS 9 stuff off first and that would have taken more time than we had available, like hours!

On the one that won't load Tiger I'm putting a new drive in on Tuesday so that hopefully will sort that out.
    I'll call Sonnet tomorrow and see what they have to say about the processors.
    I'll report back when I have got it sorted in case it helps anyone else.