Thread: Reflashing Firmware?

Default Reflashing Firmware?

I had a rather strange occurrence with my Digital Audio last week (I am on the GigaBit now) which ended with it not booting of of anything at all. A few days later when the shop got around to checking it out it booted just fine on the native PATA drive.

Although the firmware was up-to-date is there any reason not to try to reflash the firmware just in case something got fouled up in there?

Thanks,

Rick

Maybe being unplugged helped. The only thing I would do is reset nvram - and make sure your UPS is working.

And when you say "reflash the firmware" - you probably need to specify "firmware of what" (Mac, SATA, etc).

And booting into Open Firmware to clear nvram should be done when adding or even changing PCI cards, slot used, video or even RAM. And on G5s even when adding or changing disk drives has proven necessary at times.

TZ,

Thanks for the response. I was referring to the firmware for the logic board as the DA would not boot off of anything...optical drive PATA on PCI, PATA on native controller, SATA on PCI, although it did boot once off of a firewire drive, but not thereafter.

Although I did Zap the PRAM after putting the Apple supplied processor back in to duplicate the attempts at booting in case there was a CPU issue there was no change.

I can not figure out why sitting a few days should have caused it to settle down, but that seems to be the case...but for how long I do not know.

My thought was to flash the logic board firmware, replace the battery while I have it open as I am not certain of its age, though its voltage appeared to be OK when I check it and the DA had not been loosing track of time/date or anything like that.

I always run my systems on a UPS so I don't think that was an issue.

I was just wondering if there is a down side to trying to flash the logic board's firmware that I may not be aware of or may not have considered.

Thanks,

Rick

Never heard of anybody flashing a logic board....would be risky at best. I would try everything else first.

The open firmware reset (NVRAM) that TZ mentioned is a good place to start. A bit more robust than a PRAM reset.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default The Firmware...

on the logic board is updateable. I would have though that just about everyone would have updated the firmware on the logic board at one point or another. I was merely thinking of running the Apple firmware updater again. I am not even sure that it will run again if it "sees" that the firmware is up-to-date.

???

Default Apple firmware on Logic Board

this will not run again if the Logic Board firmware is up to date....
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Question The VooDoo trick a few methoods

This has saved several others with the QS/DA's one was my DA. Try them in this order

The variations of the Guru Greentree methods...

You can try pulling power cord, all RAM, battery let sit an hour, install RAM power cord and press power on.... then battery... or

1 remove all ram

2 Press mobo reset button

3 Press power button (you should get the no ram chimes*)

4 Power down and reinsert ram

5 Press reset

6 Boot normally
    See if it beeps and how many. Should be 3 if I remember.

OR....

1 Pull power cord, press the power button

2 remove all ram and battery, Let sit 2-3 hours or better over night.

3 Install battery

4 Press mobo PMU reset button next to battery - People argue from 10 - 20 seconds. I used 15.

5 Install minimal RAM 1 - 512 MB

6 Press power button once more

7 Connect power cord

8 Press power button on pray for a normally boot

Hope one works
    Randy