Thread: SuperDuper! (backup/cloning)

Default SuperDuper! 2.1

G5-2.7GHz DP, 8GB RAM, OS 10.4.6, two internal SATA drives, primary boot drive MLIII-16MB (Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer), backup boot drive Macintosh HD (OEM WD Caviar SE SATA, WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0, Revision 21.02J21, 250GB, 7200 RPM, Buffer Size 8 MB). Both drives journaled, not Case-sensitive, and Spotlight enabled. Test conducted 05/02/2006.

Paid copy of SuperDuper! v2.1, ready to start:

After completion of the operation, the report:

Pros:
    1. This is by far the fastest full backup of my primary to backup boot drives I have ever had, 57min, 42sec. Tri-BACKUP (OS X) v4.0.4 takes me 2.5 to 3 times as long.
    2. After completion, MLIII-16MB showed 102.1GB, Macintosh HD showed 101.6GB, so about 0.5GB was excluded for "the temporary and system-specific files that Apple recommends recommends excluding".
    3. If it does what is said it does, namely perfect preservation of all metadata.
    4. Interesting and complimentary reviews here http://www.applematters.com/index.ph...ackup-utility/ and here http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/...tware-harmful/

Cons:
    1. After completion, I gave Spotlight some time (really to go make some coffee), still booted to MLIII-16MB, then rebooted to it and ran some utilities below on Macintosh HD.
    2. Repairing permissions, the "Symbolic link ./mach->mach_kernel repaired", never seen that before and no idea how important or insignificant that is. But it's there.
    3. DiskWarrior 3.0.3, shows a bunch of repairs, way more than I've seen before with Tri-BACKUP. To be fair, with Tri-BACKUP I do see the first 8 text encoding errors and have for a long time. Once DW repairs them, a subsequent test shows no errors. Those are foreign fonts. Tho I don't speak any of those languages any more, I do have Korean, Japanese, and Chinese installed. The square foreign characters don't show in Mail because I copied the DW pdf file report where they do show correctly to TextEdit (where they don't) then to Mail.

Tiger Disk Utility reports:

Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD
    Determining correct file permissions.

Symbolic link ./mach->mach_kernel repaired

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
    -------------------------
    Verify and Repair disk Macintosh HD
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
    Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
    No repairs were necessary
    -------------------------
    DiskWarrior 3.0.3 report:

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new optimized directory for the disk named "Macintosh HD." The new directory is
    ready to replace the original directory.

Notes:
    All file and folder data was easily located.

Comparison of the original and replacement directories indicates that there will be changes to the number, the
    contents and/or the attributes of the files and folders. It is recommended that you preview the replacement
    directory and examine the items listed below. All files and folders were compared and a total of 14,815,624
    comparison tests were performed.

Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node
    links, indexes and more have been repaired.

Disk: "Macintosh HD"
    Repaired the Root creation date
    File: "????.collection"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Library/FontCollections/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Library/FontCollections/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "??????.collection"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W4.otf"
    F
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W3.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W6.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Std W8.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "MPEG-2 5.0Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????120 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "???? 2.0.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????120 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 5.0Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    File: "MPEG-2 3.7Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????150 ??????
    16/9/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????150 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 3.7Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Rep
    File: "MPEG-2 6.4Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????90 ??????
    16/9/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????90 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 6.4Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    File: "iPhoto ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iPhoto/iPhoto Getting Started.app/Contents/
    Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iDVD ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iDVD/iDVD Getting Started.app/Contents/Resources/
    zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iMovie HD ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iMovie/iMovie Getting Started.app/Contents/
    Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "GarageBand ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/GarageBand/GarageBand Getting Started.app/
    Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iWeb ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iWeb/iWeb Getting Started.app/Contents/Resources/
    zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "???? Pro.ttf"
    Repaired Text Encoding

Explanations:

Root: This is the top level of a disk hierarchy. The root has increased significance for Mac OS X disks.

Text Encoding: File and folder names are stored in Unicode characters. The text encoding value indicates the method
    used to convert the file name to Unicode. Repairs prevent the name from being displayed incorrectly.

Disk Information:
    Files: 549,884
    Folders: 110,608
    Free Space: 131.17 GB
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4 K
    Disk Sectors: 488,134,944
    Media: WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0
    Time: 5/2/06 6:58:36 PM
    DiskWarrior Version: 3.0.3 - RRxxxxxx (serial number)
    k

I sent all of this to SuperDuper! support this morning at 9:41 AM and received a very prompt reply at 10:20 AM:

Hi, Kaye. As you can see below, this message got a bit messed up, but I'll do my best to figure out what you're saying and respond.

- The "System Files" excluded are all fully visible in the scripts, and they include your temporary files, some cache files, and -- yes -- the mach/mach_kernel link is one of them. It's automatically created on startup, so we don't copy it on purpose.

- The "Text Encoding" values are a holdover from OS9 and aren't even really used under OSX. We discussed this issue in detail with the Alsoft folks, and they told us to not worry about it, because text encodings are "synthesized" under OSX.

Hope that helps to explain!
    --
    Dave Nanian
    Shirt Pocket

OK, cannot argue with that and explains every concern I had. The time it takes to do a complete backup, less than an hour for my system, means I will not have to do an incremental backup (to save time) in Tri-BACKUP anymore. A couple of other points. With SD, you can copy the Users folder elsewhere. I don't do that. With TB, I have used it for copying a complete folder/s to another drive, usually a FW drive. Looks like I can do that with SD. k

Lightbulb SuperDuper: Concurrent file copies

What's new in this version:

Allows display to sleep during copy
    Scheduled copies work for Japanese locale/language settings
    Preliminary compatibility support for Leopard
    Improved scheduling for all users
    Addressed various other minor issues

Improves on the acclaimed original in many ways, and a completely rewritten, task-based User's Guide.

SuperDuper 2.1.4

I've wanted to run concurrent sessions of SuperDuper, just never tried, but with four internal and 8 external drives, should be useful.

Running SD daily only takes 5 minutes to update my boot drive's backup (20GB small 10K Raptor) and another 2 minutes to scan and update media volume to backup.

... and it looks to be doing two backups concurrently just fine!

Update: It failed on the last step of restoring Spotlight. I think it got confused. I do think this would be nice but I would be very worried until someone can confirm that it won't end up reading from one volume using one thread, and write to the wrong volume using another thread.
    Last edited by TZ; 04-23-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Thumbs up Cool.

Very handy!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

ShirtPocket says "No!" or at least untested waters and "unsupported" to run concurrent copying.

I thought they should look into testing it for me