Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SuperDuper! 2.1, 2.14, 2.5

Stay here Randy. Nothing about this Sticky that you cannot add to. I have never done that but on the page
    http://www.shirtpocket.com/SuperDupe...scription.html there is a link to a 60 page pdf Users Guide. Let us know what you find out. k

Thumbs up Thanks, Kaye

I needed that.

I haven't looked but if it supports Applescript/Automator, you should be in business.

On the other hand, let that sucker run 24/7.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

On the other hand, let that sucker run 24/7.
    I always used to run 24/7 but have been on a real consistent recently 13 hour off and 11 hour on. So I guess I am being a tightwad.

My GigaMDD, never tried SuperDuper cloning a drive with both OSX and OS9.2.2. Nor was I sure that running the 10.4.9 combo update would leave 9.2.2 still bootable and untouched. I have four drives in the MDD. Whole operation worked great. Two of the drives are 10.4.9 only, normal boot and backup boot. Other two are 10.4.9 and 9.2.2, boot and backup boot.

Only one item did not clone which has always happened before with other clone software too, the OS9 Conflict Catcher serial number. I did not want to boot to OS9 without Conflict Catcher controlling what loads. Took me about 30 minutes to find the CD with serial number sticker on the sleeve, while CC waited patiently at the beginning of the boot with a window for typing the info. k

BTW, you can download and use SuperDuper without paying for it, but paying does unlock scheduling, Smart Update (which saves a lot of time), Sandboxes, scripting and more!

Don't underestimate Smart Update. That alone is worth the price. Instead of a 30-60 minute full backup, Smart Update only clones what has changed, anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes for me on my G5. Yet to do Smart Update on my GigaMDD. Wife's iBook G4, cloning the internal 4200RPM drive to an external FW400 drive would take all day for a full backup. Smart Update goes way faster. k

Kaye delete this if it screws the thread. But with Super-Duper if I read things right you can only erase and copy to a drive/partition right?

No sync? No just adding without deleting items? Right?

Thanks to all, I finally have a back-up system TZ might approve of.

Randy,

If you purchase SuperDuper, you can use Smart Update which will only copy new files and those that have changed. I did a Smart Update this morning and it took about 10 minutes cloning my primary boot drive with about 160GB used to my backup, both 500GB drives. Did I answer all of your questions? k

Lightbulb

I don't think you can actually synchronize two folders.
    Add w/o delete missing items, yes.

I ended up purchasing Intego Personal Backup as a replacement to PPC only Tri-Backup which seems like they will never have a UB version. That does allow the freedom to easily see what you are doing and nice options though.

Intego you need to edit or use their's pre-assigned scripts.

Default Yes bought Super Duper a while back.

I've used it on/off and like it. Heres the deal. I have 20GB of installers that are not "with my data" sitting on a single backup partition. I supposed I can put them with my data but then I push that partition to 70 percent full vs. 40 percent now. I can see them easily erased and no backup. A blessing - all old stuff?

I have the room and flexibility now so it would be easy to recreate partition sizes. Trying to cut most partitions out.

I had been using CCC since the Panther days. I plan to get a new MacPro next week. Is CCC not the way to go for bootable clones anymore?

CCC 3 looks to hold great promise....but had been in beta a long time. Hope it get released.

SuperDuper is at least as easy, works well, is fast, and even free for basic use: Clone whole drives. Such a great tool....I think everyone should pay to support it, not to mention the added features are well worth the cost.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

CCC 3.0 as a Beta makes me a bit uncomfortable. The CCC v2.3 runs under Rosetta unfortunately.

If I understand things correctly, the best solution available today for a true Universal Binary is SuperDuper?

"best" I don't know but Universal yes. But I love the Smart Update feature you can set when you pay for it. Typically with 160GB used on my boot drive and after several updates plus 686 photos added to iPhoto and creation of a slideshow in iDVD with those photos, plus archiving the iDVD slideshow, still took about 11 minutes to Smart Update to my backup boot drive.

And you can set that Smart Update preference even before first creating a full backup which would probably take me 70 minutes now. Then just leave it set for whatever you want to do. Smart Update in that circumstance will do a full backup. Works great on my G5 but I don't know about a Mac Pro. k

Current version is 2.1.4 and is not fully compatible with Leopard. Author is working on it. k

My G5, got a crash yesterday in Tiger 10.4.10 while SuperDuper cloning to a FW800 2-drive RAID. Desktop grayed with a window in the middle to shutdown via the front button. At first I thought maybe the leaking coolant problem. Nope, so then I thought about it for awhile and then decided to download the latest version of SuperDuper again, thinking perhaps SuperDuper had somehow become corrupted. That was it or perhaps some momentary glitch, electrons flowing in the wrong direction. Ran SuperDuper for almost 4 hours cloning to several drives. No problems. k

Funny you should mention SuperDuper, I prepared a clone of 10.4.10 on a FW800 HD today for a Leopard upgrade.

Well, I should say that I had to try to clone twice. I first tried System Restore in Disk Utility which left me with an unbootable clone -- I had forgotten that I experienced this before with the MBP.

After that remembered SuperDuper, which gave me a functioning clone without issue. Leopard update ran smoothly and is working fine at the moment. Given Leopard a whirl on an external before installing it on the main drive.

That was exactly what I intended too eric. Not happy with that FW800 2-drive RAID however. Took about 2.5 hours to do a full clone. Don't know why the RAID runs so slow in SuperDuper. The RAID boots and runs fast in 10.4.10. k

SuperDuper v2.5 is out. I should also have mentioned before that I figured out why that FW800 2-drive RAID ran so slowly in SuperDuper. I had another FW800 drive running. Even if not being accessed, it splits the FW bus bandwidth on my G5. k

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    Even if not being accessed, it splits the FW bus bandwidth on my G5. k

That's ugly. Just having the second device plugged in slowed the data rate that much? Wow.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin