Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SuperDuper! 2.1, 2.14, 2.5

Default SuperDuper! 2.1, 2.14, 2.5

G5-2.7GHz DP, 8GB RAM, OS 10.4.6, two internal SATA drives, primary boot drive MLIII-16MB (Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer), backup boot drive Macintosh HD (OEM WD Caviar SE SATA, WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0, Revision 21.02J21, 250GB, 7200 RPM, Buffer Size 8 MB). Both drives journaled, not Case-sensitive, and Spotlight enabled. Test conducted 05/02/2006.

Paid copy of SuperDuper! v2.1, ready to start:

After completion of the operation, the report:

Pros:
    1. This is by far the fastest full backup of my primary to backup boot drives I have ever had, 57min, 42sec. Tri-BACKUP (OS X) v4.0.4 takes me 2.5 to 3 times as long.
    2. After completion, MLIII-16MB showed 102.1GB, Macintosh HD showed 101.6GB, so about 0.5GB was excluded for "the temporary and system-specific files that Apple recommends recommends excluding".
    3. If it does what is said it does, namely perfect preservation of all metadata.
    4. Interesting and complimentary reviews here http://www.applematters.com/index.ph...ackup-utility/ and here http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/...tware-harmful/

Cons:
    1. After completion, I gave Spotlight some time (really to go make some coffee), still booted to MLIII-16MB, then rebooted to it and ran some utilities below on Macintosh HD.
    2. Repairing permissions, the "Symbolic link ./mach->mach_kernel repaired", never seen that before and no idea how important or insignificant that is. But it's there.
    3. DiskWarrior 3.0.3, shows a bunch of repairs, way more than I've seen before with Tri-BACKUP. To be fair, with Tri-BACKUP I do see the first 8 text encoding errors and have for a long time. Once DW repairs them, a subsequent test shows no errors. Those are foreign fonts. Tho I don't speak any of those languages any more, I do have Korean, Japanese, and Chinese installed. The square foreign characters don't show in Mail because I copied the DW pdf file report where they do show correctly to TextEdit (where they don't) then to Mail.

Tiger Disk Utility reports:

Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD
    Determining correct file permissions.

Symbolic link ./mach->mach_kernel repaired

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
    -------------------------
    Verify and Repair disk Macintosh HD
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
    Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
    No repairs were necessary
    -------------------------
    DiskWarrior 3.0.3 report:

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new optimized directory for the disk named "Macintosh HD." The new directory is
    ready to replace the original directory.

Notes:
    All file and folder data was easily located.

Comparison of the original and replacement directories indicates that there will be changes to the number, the
    contents and/or the attributes of the files and folders. It is recommended that you preview the replacement
    directory and examine the items listed below. All files and folders were compared and a total of 14,815,624
    comparison tests were performed.

Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node
    links, indexes and more have been repaired.

Disk: "Macintosh HD"
    Repaired the Root creation date
    File: "????.collection"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Library/FontCollections/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Library/FontCollections/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "??????.collection"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W4.otf"
    F
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W3.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Pro W6.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "???????????? Std W8.otf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    File: "MPEG-2 5.0Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????120 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "???? 2.0.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????120 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 5.0Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    File: "MPEG-2 3.7Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????150 ??????
    16/9/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????150 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 3.7Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Rep
    File: "MPEG-2 6.4Mbps????????16/9.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????90 ??????
    16/9/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Applications/Compressor.app/Contents/Resources/zh_CN.lproj/DVD/ ??????????90 ??????
    16/9/"
    File: "MPEG-2 6.4Mbps????????4/3.setting"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    4/3/"
    File: "iPhoto ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iPhoto/iPhoto Getting Started.app/Contents/
    Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iDVD ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iDVD/iDVD Getting Started.app/Contents/Resources/
    zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iMovie HD ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iMovie/iMovie Getting Started.app/Contents/
    Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "GarageBand ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/GarageBand/GarageBand Getting Started.app/
    Contents/Resources/zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "iWeb ????????.pdf"
    Repaired Text Encoding
    Location: "Macintosh HD/Library/Documentation/Applications/iWeb/iWeb Getting Started.app/Contents/Resources/
    zh_TW.lproj/"
    File: "???? Pro.ttf"
    Repaired Text Encoding

Explanations:

Root: This is the top level of a disk hierarchy. The root has increased significance for Mac OS X disks.

Text Encoding: File and folder names are stored in Unicode characters. The text encoding value indicates the method
    used to convert the file name to Unicode. Repairs prevent the name from being displayed incorrectly.

Disk Information:
    Files: 549,884
    Folders: 110,608
    Free Space: 131.17 GB
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Block Size: 4 K
    Disk Sectors: 488,134,944
    Media: WDC WD2500JD-41HBC0
    Time: 5/2/06 6:58:36 PM
    DiskWarrior Version: 3.0.3 - RRxxxxxx (serial number)
    k

I sent all of this to SuperDuper! support this morning at 9:41 AM and received a very prompt reply at 10:20 AM:

Hi, Kaye. As you can see below, this message got a bit messed up, but I'll do my best to figure out what you're saying and respond.

- The "System Files" excluded are all fully visible in the scripts, and they include your temporary files, some cache files, and -- yes -- the mach/mach_kernel link is one of them. It's automatically created on startup, so we don't copy it on purpose.

- The "Text Encoding" values are a holdover from OS9 and aren't even really used under OSX. We discussed this issue in detail with the Alsoft folks, and they told us to not worry about it, because text encodings are "synthesized" under OSX.

Hope that helps to explain!
    --
    Dave Nanian
    Shirt Pocket

OK, cannot argue with that and explains every concern I had. The time it takes to do a complete backup, less than an hour for my system, means I will not have to do an incremental backup (to save time) in Tri-BACKUP anymore. A couple of other points. With SD, you can copy the Users folder elsewhere. I don't do that. With TB, I have used it for copying a complete folder/s to another drive, usually a FW drive. Looks like I can do that with SD. k

Thumbs down SuperDumb!

I tried using the option to

Only the Users folder on (source) will be copied to (target). All other directories and files will not be copied.

Smart Update will copy and erase what's needed to make (destination) identical to your selections from (source). The result will mimic "Erase, then copy," but will take a fraction of the time.
    No need to ERASE. And it should not be touching things outside /Users. Well, that Smart Update (destination) from (source) totally removed the Applications, Library, and System! (along with Developer).

I didn't like how 'rigid' it seems without creating custom scripts, and not the way I have my drives and systems set up always. I have stuff on multiple drives and partitions. So I changed my setup to a 'single drive' configuration with everything on one drive even.

I did not want to copy the /Applications and system related.

I am sure that I read and looked closely. I just wanted to update changes to /Users/me and leave the rest alone. And it showed that it should ignore the rest, not erase or delete those directories.

CCC has worked fine. TriBackup is slow and takes a long time to analyze and inspect, and hogs the cpu and Finder while "thinking" but they never deleted something.

After my first use and booting a new system, it was okay, but Nisus Express kept crashing. Never happened before. Fix was to boot into SUM and run Applejack to delete cache folders. Then everything was fine. Nisus folks thought my crash log pointed to it might be font related. CCC never needed 'help' or caused problems.

Sour grapes? Personally, using "!" gets overdone enough as it is. So now my pet name and peeve is "SuperDumb!" for this one. Proibably the only negative vote out there on this program, too!

SuperOuch! Can you send an email to their tech support and let us know their answer? I don't have a separate users but many here do.

I emailed their sales this morning to ask about why they don't have a bundle or unlimited license deal for multiple Macs. The author asked how many Macs I own and am primary user. Answer was my one license covers all of them, for instance the G5 and GigaMDD. We got into the iBook G4. I am the owner and I do all of the maintenance and updates to it. But Da Boss is the primary user so he asked if I would purchase another license for it. I thought that outcome was more than generous and purchased a license today for the iBook. I then updated it from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 and installed SuperDuper.

That poor baby iBook internal drive, a Toshiba 80GB (really 74+GB) 4200 RPM drive with 21GB on it. Cloned to my backup boot drive, a Granite FW400 drive with IBM 120GB Deskstar 180GXP-8MB 7200 RPM with two partitions. The Toshiba was chugging along at from 1.15MB/s to 7MB/s while the FW400 would wait for some data, then write at about 20MB/s. It was comical. No Asian fonts on the iBook. Took about the same time as the G5 with 5x the data to clone.

Once done, I waited for Spotlight to finish with the FW400 drive and then rebooted to it. Worked just fine.

Last night on the G5 I checked the backup boot drive with iDefrag and SuperDuper does do a pretty good job of making files contiguous, sort of a cheap defrag rolled into one.

I tried to use the web-form for feedback, but it doesn't load. And I was too RED that I thought I'd let the email sit in Mail for a day or three.

I am never content to just use something, I have a given "nack" for finding things, and use something as just anyone might to see how foolproof or idiot-proof it is. Not warning about killing off the system would be up there.

Most of the manual talks about their "sandbox" approach to keeping a safe system. My own sandbox is three 18GB drives with just the system, handy for testing updates, 3rd party, whatever.

With CCC I copy /Users by just "select all" then un-select /Users and remove the others from the list. I like GUIs and lists like that. Scripts need to be tested.

I like that Tri-B will say what is being copied.

I find SD! would set an alias to "Utilities" to go to the root but not be volume specific like it should, and like CCC leaves it (with the /volume/ info somehow embedded so it knows it is THAT drive's /Applications/Utilities and NOT the current boot volume. Small stuff.

It may be Nisus plays different or uses something they didn't take into account, but that CCC's default folders to skip does (which is I'm sure why).

I've bought lots and lots of backup software. Few that I am 100% happy with.

And here I thought 40 minutes for 40GB was bad. :-(

Default My 2 cents (some more)....

While I realize that my system set up is not as complicated and that I may not have as many demands as TZ does, I still have to say that I absolutely LOVE SuperDuper!

For my money (and it's not very much money, IMO- - - when I think of the thousands of dollars of utterly useless Mac software I've purchased over the years..... and I still have the 400KB floppy disks to prove it, too! ....but I digress).....

SuperDuper has worked, as far as I'm aware, utterly flawlessly for me. I had problems with CCC. Retrospect, hated the clumsy interface, but begrudgingly used it anyway, just because, well, ya' gotta do backups, right?

Anyone remember a backup program called REDUX? That was my LAST favorite piece of backup software. I've been waiting ALL THESE YEARS for something as easy to use as Redux..... for my money, SuperDuper does the trick, does it fast, and does it reliably. I think that's a fabulous deal for a couple of sawbucks......

As they say, it's the difference of opinion that makes horse races...... so, whatever works best for one may not be the best for another.

Regardless, viva la difference!

Boyd 9

(NOT affiliated with Super Duper in any way. Just a fan of good backup software when he sees it).

Thanks for the info Boyd 9. Today I wanted to try Smart Update on my G5, accessible from the main window Options... button. Selected Smart Update and it started. On completion, got this window

Fast, 6min 26sec. Of course this is an update from about 4 days ago but it updated 2,851 files, guessing because I did do some iPhoto loading more photos, some iWeb, Mail, and Safari. I then launched iDefrag and looked at what SuperDuper had done, not to defrag, just a look see

Not even worth running iDefrag. I have yet to run iDefrag on Macintosh HD since using SuperDuper to fully clone and today's Smart Update. k

Lightbulb

Redux was written by same guy that did HFS Backup.

Just try to use SD to backup "user" and ignore all the other directories. Easy to do in CCC. I don't want to have to learn to edit or create scripts.

I can't understand how anyone could have trouble with CCC unless they did something like forget to go into prefs and "make bootable" or there was a bug in OS X (and there were which affected CCC or in psync).

For my money, SD is not really useful. I still haven't read the whole manual but I think my own "sandbox" approach is easier.

Backup - all files should work. But if you don't want to backup /Applications, or /System, or, if you DO want to include /Applications but nothing else...

Since my previous Smart Update, I now do that every week because it goes so fast. This time 7:45 using a new version 2.1.1(v78) available since May 17. k

Lightbulb

Well, I found after using Apple DU Restore, CCC, Synk, and SD, that it really makes a big difference in how long it takes. I am constantly moving disks around and changing my setup that I need something fast and easy.

There are times when I just want to backup one folder, which I can't find a way to do with SD, but maybe I won't need to (Pictures is 15GB and iPhoto can really double it if I let it).

I've moved all my ATA drives to FW (4), primary drives are SCSI, with SCSI backups as well (4). Luckily my system can still fit safely on 18GB 15K drives. Couldn't do it if I had some monster apps though.

Lightbulb Updated version

SuperDuper updated to 2.1.2.

I am still playing around trying to see if "backup users" only option which is suppose to leave everything else "as is." I tried that yesterday and it seemed to work.

(I had a hard time communicating and it didn't seem whoever I emailed offered different options and choices or a "did you try x-y-z" solutions. ;-(
    Last edited by TZ; 06-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.

I have a Maxtor Maxline III 7L300S0 300GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer arriving today to replace the backup boot OEM WD 250GB drive in my G5. I want to zero it out and test it in QB3.0, then last I will SuperDuper clone my primary boot drive to it. Then see if I can "backup users" only option works hopefully without removing the rest of the data on the drive. That was the problem if I recall correctly.

The new drive will become my primary boot drive, the existing primary will become the secondary to give it a rest, just idling along. The removed OEM drive will go into the store's FW800 U6 http://macgurus.com/productpages/firewire/U6SATA.php when they get more stock.
    k

Yesterday I replaced the OEM drive with the Maxtor 300GB MaXLine III 7L300S0 and tested it out. Today used SuperDuper to clone my main drive, a Maxtor 300GB MaXLine III 7B300SO, to the new drive. Took 58:35 for about
    104GB. New drive now my main boot drive and the other Maxtor gets a rest. Ran some more tests on it to compare with the old Maxtor and then launched SuperDuper again to test the backup users.

New drive named 7LMLIII-16MB
    Old drive named MLIII-16MB

After launch:
    1. Reset Backup - all files to Backup - user files
    2. Under During copy, replaced Smart Update MLIII-16MB from 7LMLIII-16MB to Copy newer files from 7LMLIII-16MB to MLIII-16MB
    3. After confirming that, the window says "Only the Users folder on 7LMLIII-16MB will be copied to MLIII-16MB." Hit Copy Now. Took 03:52

Next I booted to the backup hard drive and it was working fine. k

Lightbulb Sd 2.1.3

What's new in this version:

There's a little for everyone in 2.1.3 as we continue to polish and refine.
    The changes we've made include:
    • Can disable ACL copying in Advanced options
    • The What's going to happen? section now says when the destination is an image
    • No longer allows erroneous restarting/startup from an image
    • Scheduling now works with multi-byte characters in volume names
    • Scheduling now works under 10.3.x for Japanese language users
    • Addressed various other minor issues
    Of course, the new SuperDuper 2.1.3 still improves on the acclaimed original in many ways, including:
    • The ability to easily schedule backups
    • Additional imaging options
    • More control over shutdown
    • Better AppleScript support
    • Hundreds of UI improvements
    • Growl support
    • And a completely rewritten, task-based User's Guide.

Latest v2.1.3 has something I have not seen before. Under...
    1. Prepare to Copy Files
    last entry is Preserve Spotlight state on (destination volume)
    3. After Successful Copy
    last entry is Restore Spotlight state on (destination volume)

I guess that prevents Spotlight from slowing down the cloning. Anyway I had a lot of changes. Smart Update took 09:24. k

I have been mired in iPhoto and iWeb creating ten more web pages of about 900+ photos on my G5. Time for SuperDuper Smart Backup yesterday to clone to my backup boot drive. Took about 10 minutes.

I also have a new SATA drive, 300GB Maxline III-16MB (7L300S0) in that Granite SATAVue Aluminum Hot-Swap 1-Bay External case #3552 and in an extra Hot-Swap tray #3420, connected to a SeriTek/1VE4. Couple of things I was curious about:

1. Even tho I was going to do a full backup, could I leave SuperDuper set to Smart Update and expect a full backup? Yup, no need to reset SuperDuper. In Smart Update it did a full backup, and bootable. Took 55 minutes to clone, about 108GB, 596,029 files. I waited another 30 minutes for Spotlight to index the drive before booting to it.

2. Also interested in temperatures since the case is all aluminum with no fan and I figured this would be a good test. Air conditioning off. When I booted up to start the Smart Update of my internal backup boot drive, the drive in the Granite case was at 33.0C/91.4F according to Hardware Monitor, room temperature 80.6F. After completion of cloning my internal backup boot drive, Granite drive indicated 37.0C/98.6F, room temp 81.0F. After cloning the Granite drive, 55 minutes, it indicated 47.0C/116.6F, room temp 81.3F. After the 30 minute Spotlight indexing 44.0C/111.2F, room temp 83.1F, outside temp about 100F in the shade. After another 30 minutes of no drive activity, 43.0C/109.4F, room temp 83.6F. At this point I turned the AC on.

At no time was the Granite case more than luke warm to the touch. k

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks kaye, I'm very pleased to know how well the Alum. Granite enclosures work.

I just got a Burly 2-bay hot swap (with the LCD read-out, I love it!), but looked at the Granite enclosures intensely at first.

I have a 74gb Raptor, and when I slapped it in my QS case, I was getting temps in the 37-44C range. (w/ room temp in the 22-24 C range and case temp (in the front, upper top) of 28-30C). Now, in the Burly enclosure, the Raptor purrs along at 23-26 C. And with the set up I have, it's also bootable, too.

One thing I did get is the padded drive cases that Granite offers. They look great and seem to offer nice protection for the drive trays. I don't have many worries about backups now...... and I love the flexibility of it all.

Again thanks for the info..... I like the basic simplicity of the alum enclosure and was really curious to know how it would work w/o a fan.

Thanks for the temps info Boyd 9. Nothing cools drives like a Burly. I just don't have the foot space for another Burly. As it is I have the G5 or GigaMDD, the UPS right next to it, and a couple of 2-bay SeriTeks next to the UPS stacked one on top of the other. In front of the UPS I have two FW800 cases. Pain when I have to change from G5 to G4 but I tend to only do it in the morning so I don't screw up connections.

On top of the G5 or G4 sits a Granite FW400 hot swap LCD case and the Alum. Granite hot swap enclosure on top of that which clears the bottom of the desk table by about 2.5". If I had the room I would have used a 2-bay Burly. I do need another Granite padded drive case. Wasn't thinking when I purchased the extra hot swap tray. Only got one padded case and should have purchased two. k

Lightbulb SuperDuper 10% Discount

Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket software responded to a Guy Kawasaki weblog with a unique discount on SuperDuper, an inexpensive, friendly and effective Mac backup utility (which we use here):

Well, we've never offered SuperDuper at a discount before - but you don't just say "no" to Guy. So, for the next two days (Monday 9/18 and Tuesday 9/19), we're offering SuperDuper at a 10% "Get Smart" discount if you use the coupon code getsmart (all one word), regardless of whether or not you read Guy's blog.

Default Finally setting up my SuperDuper

I have finally been using my SuperDuper App this week so...... How do I have SuperDuper "Shutdown my computer" after it does a backup. I have 2 backups scheduled...

Data. - to a Backup partition 10.30 p.m. - only took 3-4 minutes
    System/Users. - to a different Backup partition 10.45 p.m. - after looking at time logs since the data only took 2-4 minutes.

Also rather than scheduling two different times can I have one backup and the other immediately start when the first is done. OR Just schedule them both?

Also should I stay on this sticky or start a new thread?
    Last edited by rwm; 01-26-2007 at 05:20 PM.