Thread: Starting Up Clamshell iBook

Default Starting Up Clamshell iBook

How do you start up an original clamshell iBook with a broken cd drive and no system on the hard drive. I have an external USB cd drive and USB external hard drive, but you can't boot up through USB. There is no firewire port, so I can't start up in target disk mode or hook my firewire hard drive to it.

Thanks.

Lightbulb

I have to "give it to Apple" for their design decisions

Do you have plans to replace the CD? that would seem to be 'essential' at some point (unless you want to hold off and get a new MacBook Pro).

Do you have access to another computer where you could remove the hd and put it in 2.5" FW case and clone a system to it?

Ouch. No local way I know except to crack it open and replace at least one of the drives.

There is another way, but most folks don't have access or the experience. Network tools. Netboot from OS X server, Casper, NetRestore, etc. You could setup a second Mac as a server and push an image onto it over a LAN. Not a small project to setup, and requires at least a second Mac and a network of sorts.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Good news: I saw the blue color and without thinking I assumed that it was the original iBook and didn't even bother to look at the ports. But then it clicked that the iBook was dark blue, and sure enough there was a firewire port. I hooked up the computer in Target mode and easily added the System.

UncleMac, I do have another Mac and a network. I am curious how to do it that way (probably something useful to know in my repertoire of tricks).

That is good news.

As for Net Booting/Net Installing, probably the best way to get up to speed is by downloading and reading the OS X Server documentation, and checking out the Server forums at Apple. Other than that, NetRestore is your best bet as it is free. Forums there too specific to the software.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin