Thread: Firmware troubles

Default Firmware troubles

I have a G4 Sawtooth that I intend to upgrade with a faster processor. I've been trying to update the firmware to 4.2.8 with the updater from Apple and it refuses to run. I have both OSX and OS 9 on an internal IDE drive. I boot into OS 9.2.2, AND run the updater. When I restart while holding the programmers button I get the tone..... then I get a start up chime and a blank grey screen with no updater activity. Then all goes black, then a second chime and it boots into OS 9 with an error message that the firmware update was unsuccessful. It currently has firmware version 3.2.4f1 which I find no mention of on Apple's site.

Any suggestions? T.I.A

David H

Hmmmmmm.....

Sounds right. Just to be clear:

booting to OS 9.2.2
    the firmware update file is on the 9.2.2 drive (desktop is OK)
    you are shutting down by using the button within the firmware updater

That should do it. Using this updater, correct?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yes to all. The boot drive has both OS 9 & X. I was thinking of trying the update from a drive with only 9. Thanks.

David

Firmware 3.2.4f1 according to this is for an iMac G3 slot loader. Can that be true? And, if so, I wonder how you will be able to erase that and update the firmware. How can a Mac even run with the wrong firmware? k

Yes, I see what you mean. I rescued this machine from a local computer scap yard so I have no historical info.

I think I will try the iMac 4.1.9 updater and then see if 4.2.8 will work from there, since 4.1.9 was used on the iMac, Cube and the Power Mac G4's. Thanks.

David

Good catch Kaye. I remember that...way bacjk when. It was a pain to get imacs updated.

I did not think it possible to get an imac firmware on, well, anything but an imac. A bit spooky.

I would do the same: go for the 4.1.9, and see if you can then get to 4.2.8. Having OS X on the drive should not matter...as long as you boot to 9.

We are in uncharted waters I suspect.....
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-04-2006 at 07:49 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Arrow

you are shutting down by using the button within the firmware updater
    I recently did the 4.2.8 firmware update on my DA from 9.2.2 I thought it automatically rebooted. Not sure but it went easy I just followed instructions.

My first guess you have the wrong firmware on there. (But know nothing of iMac stuff) Hey guys are there firmware uninstallers? - Randy

Well, I tried the iMac 4.1.9 and it won't run because it sees the machine it not an iMac. Same with the Cube updater.

Does anyone have the prior updaters like 4.1.9 or 4.1.8 for the PM G4? Apple no longer has these available since they were replaced by 4.2.8f1.

This machine seems to run OS X (10.3.9) fine so I'm wondering if I need to update the firmware at all, as long as I don't get a 47A based upgrade.

David

I could not find a firmware uninstaller, just found this and this. Might be something at either to help.

Another possibility, email Gary Dailey at Daystar Technology. His email address is on that page. If anyone knows how, he does. Tell him MacGurus sent you. You could link him to this thread.

Last resort, any Macintosh User Group (MUG) nearby? k

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    We are in uncharted waters I suspect.....
    Keine scheisse, Scherloch!

"Between a rock and a hard place" seems an appropriate phrase.

I can't imagine how someone managed to install v.3.x.x iMac firmware on the G4, but once there then I suspect one is hoist by the petard of not being able to install an earlier version of firmware, which means it has to be v.4.x.x, and I think v.4.1.7 & .8 aren't available as downloads from Apple. IIRC 4.1.9 was pulled because of an audio snafu.

I guess what's needed is a firmware update >3.2.4f1 and <4.2.8, for a G4. If that could be found and installed, then the path to 4.2.8 should be clear; but would that re-establish the machines firmware identity as a G4?

Could (would?) an Apple Service Center flash the boot ROM back to a G4? And at what cost?

Curioser and curioser.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

My thoughts too mr. biggles.

Never even seen a discussion on how to "unflash" a Mac boot ROM, much less something a consumer could easily do.

I like the Kaye's notion of getting Daystar brainpower involved. Maybe Tim at Giga would have some insight too? Afterall, they have to built firmware updaters, so someone there should know oodles more than any of us here about Mac Boot ROMs.

There used to be shareware tools available that would let you fake a machine ID so as to be able install software updates differently than Apple designed, but I expect firmware updaters validate against the firmware ROM version, so not a likely fix.

I think I still have a copy of "macwannabe" for OS 8/9 somewhere.....

Textool: In Sytem Profiler, what is the current Hardware Machine Model/ID reported as?

Here's the info from OSX SP:

Machine Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 550 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 3.2.4f1
    Serial Number: XB02001QJ2S
    Sales Order Number: 0100225215XB02001Q1234123412341234

And from OS 9 SP

Hardware overview
    Machine ID: 406
    Model name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
    Keyboard type: Apple Extended Keyboard
    Processor info: PowerPC G4
    Machine speed: 550 MHz
    Nanokernel version: 2.27
    Nanokernel pool extends: 11
    Nanokernel scheduled CPUs:1
    uni-n: 7

Production information
    ROM revision: $77D.45F6
    Boot ROM version: $0003.24f1
    Mac OS ROM file version: 8.7
    Serial number: XB02001Q-J2S-ffff
    Software bundle: Not applicable
    Sales order number: 0100225215

Thanks for the tips about Gary at Daystar. I've been they're customer since the days of the IIvx and they have always been very supportive.

David H

Default 2 cents

FWIW, I found this deep in the archives of accelerate your mac (note the added comment from Mike):

"Boot ROM version: $0003.24f1
    [denotes 2.4 G4 firmware update applied-Mike]"

I don't know what that might mean for this situation, but it seems that 3.2.4f1 can reside on a G4 (I've seen it mostly listed with UK and French macs); I can only wish good luck...

Terry