Thread: New used G4

Default New used G4

Hello,

I just received a G4...semi-swap, semi-gift...all the way fun!

I'm not sure which model it is and would like to soup it up a bit.

I think it's of the 400MHz vintage...blue plastic front, the motherboard has a copyright date of 1999. 4 RAM slots (none are populated), ATI Rage 128 video card (and I am sure out of practice as I can't tell if it's an AGP or PCI slot...it's not as long as the other slots). The three bigger (PCI) slots are labeled 33MHz and the smaller one (with the video card) is labeled 66MHz. On the back is written "Family Number M5183".

I'm wondering which RAM chips I should use and how much RAM can be put into the thing. How amenable and meaningful would a CPU upgrade be? I'd like to use the thing as a test box for OS X server.

Thanks in advance!

Iver

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Sounds a lot like a PCI Graphics G4 If so then PC 100 ram should do the trick
    Damien,

Yes PC100. PC133 works fine too. My friend/neighbor put PC133 in his G4 PCI Yikes and it worked fine. The link below will show photos of the back of them both - they look different.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58418

Good score,
    Randy

Lightbulb

I eventually upgraded my B&W to Crucial PC100, then later to PC133, also from Crucial, and sent the PC100 to my Beige G3. Probably limited to same 1GB RAM. Even some cpu upgrades are labled "B&W and Yikes."

Radeon 9200 (PCI) is fine, or take a slight hit in video and put SeriTek in the 66MHz slot where you might get the best I/O.

Thougth all of the 400s were AGP.....if so, it should hold 1.5 Gigs of RAM. Apple System Profiler would tell you AGP or not for sure, if you have an OS loaded.

If you can round up a CPU of about 1 Gig (or more) you will be very happy with it. If it is AGP, should be plug and play for any of the 7455s, or you need to do a simple firmware update for any of the cool running, low power drawing 7447s, like our favorite Gigas.

Just about any PC100 or PC133 works OK in the older G4s in my experience....as long as it is 8ns. If you need new, Gurus is always tested for the model it is sold for, and Crucial is a safe bet too.

If you can get the CPU up to about 700Mhz, Server should run just fine, at least for testing and light use. Older versions, especially 10.2 are just slow, so ironically 10.4 Server is easiest on slower hardware. Less buggy too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

....So much for my memory. I checked at everymac.com too, but I think they have a problem with the G4 400 page(s), or I misread it. Not clear about the PCI model.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

My friend/neighbor has a G4/400 MHz PCI version. - Randy

Default Pretty sure...

the Yikes model, successor to the Yosemite (or B&W) came in G4-350 and G4-400MHz varieties. The Yikes was PCI as well and was a short lived model.. replaced soon after by the venerable Sawtooth (which had AGP).

Most of what is true on the Yikes logic board holds for the Rev 2. of the B&W.

This is what I remember, not at a Mac right now but if you download MacTracker it has a lot of info.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Default Thanks for all the info!

Hiya!

Well, the beast has the sound ports arranged horizontally, so it must be a PCI-video G4.

The slot that the video card is in looks the same as the others, just without the last "segment".

Now, I heard that PC133 doesn't work as well in these machines...they are rated for PC100...is this something I need to be concerned about?

If not is there any reason to go with multiples of:

256 MB PC133 222 Low Profile DIMM 256G4-133 $49.00

instead of:

512 MB PC133 Low Profile DIMM 512G4-133 $87.00

If the latter, the thing would take a max of two of such chips?

Thanks again!

Iver

Default oops, didn't read all those links...

So I guess for the PCI G4, to get 1 GB of RAM in the thing, one needs to use 4 of the 256MB chips...

Hopefully, I'll be able to test with the 10.4 server...

My friend/neighbor has a G4/400 MHz PCI version. - Randy
    He added a PC133 512MB (Gurus) about 2 years ago and has never had a problem. - Randy