Thread: Combo Drive For 1Ghz G4 iMac

Default Combo Drive For 1Ghz G4 iMac

G4 iMac Combo Drive Problems

The Combo Drive on a friend's G4 17" 1GHz iMac (OS X 10.4.5) doesn't recognize any CDs that are put in. So far I've: Zapped PRAM, ran Disk Utilities, ran TechTool Pro, and started up from an external hard drive. None of those helped. What else should I try before I take the drive out to test in an external enclosure that I have. (I hope to avoid opening up the computer, but can do so if need be.) If I do open the computer, the service manual mentions that I need to reapply the "thermal paste." What is this and where do I get it? If I do need to replace the drive, any recommendation?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kaps; 04-01-2006 at 06:52 PM.

You might try a laser cleaner CD like this.

Outside of that, hello new CD/DVD player, at least as far as I know.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Any Luck? - Randy

Forgot to add that I have cracked exactly *one* of these to replace a HD. A little bit tricky, but once you figure it out, not too bad. Did not fully disconnect the top from the base, as there was wiring I did not to mess with. Don't remember any spot that needed thermal paste; I remember a thermal pad (that needs nothing to disassemble/reassemble), but maybe I forgot - it was a couple years back - or maybe you have a different model.

As a matter of fact I have one at work that needs to be cracked for the same issue, but it may be weeks or more before I get to it, so no promises that I will have any more insight soon.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the reply!

My first step will be to get the CD cleaner (though I'm not so opomistic).

Regarding the thermal paste, here is a direct quote from the service manual:

"Warning: Whenever the bottom housing is opened for service, you must do two things:
    1.You must clean the original thermal film from all thermal interface mating surfaces,
    and reapply thermal paste to the mating surfaces on the thermal pipe.
    2. You must tighten the four torx screws on the bottom housing to a minimum of 17
    in.-lbs. Use a torque driver (service tool 076-0899) to ensure that the thermal pipe is
    firmly mated with the top base. If you do not have a torque driver, you must make
    sure the screws are tightened by hand FIRMLY, BUT NOT FORCIBLY.
    Failure to follow these steps could cause the computer to overheat and
    damage internal components.
    Refer to the topic ŮThermal Paste ApplicationÓ for detailed information."

Here is a link to the service manual: http://scclc.sancarlos.k12.ca.us/tea...-inch_1ghz.pdf

A friend of mine hasn't heard of "thermal paste" but knows of "Silcon heat sink grease." Are these two the same thing?

Also, do you have any recomendations for a replacement drive? Would any drive fit or due to the shape of the G4 iMacs you need a special drive.

Thanks!

A standard internal drive as I recall. These guys confirm it, and have pretty good prices too.

I expect thermal grease would work fine, but there are other options too. Arctic Silver is one of the most common high performance brands.

I also have heard Arctic Silver is popular and works well. No first hand experience myself. - Randy