Thread: G4-500 continually reboots on shutdown

Default G4-500 continually reboots on shutdown

I have a G4-500 AGP Graphics upgraded with a Sonnet Encore/ST 1.4ghz processor. The oem dvd player has been replaced with a Pioneer DVD-R AO5 or 6 drive in the original bay. There is a scsi card and a ethernet card in the PCI slots.The OS is 10.4.5.

The problem is that the machine continually reboots on shutdown. The problem started around the time of either the 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 automatic update. Up until then the machine shutdown normally.

I have replaced the motherboard battery which I was told caused the problem. It didnt solve the issue.

I have looked at the power button on the machine to see if it was jammed on. It was clear. I have no way ochecking the micro switch the button activates though.

Any clues anyone???

Help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Strikey

I seem to remember somebody with this issue soem time ago, and it was USB related. Maybe try another keyboard, a different port, etc.

You could also try re-running the 10.4.5 update, and repair permissions just to be sure everything is like it should be. I like to download the combo updates, and keep 'em on a disc so they're handy without internet access.

Going to agree with M. on this one. Remove all peripherals except the keyboard and mouse and see what happens. Usually FW or USB device(s) causing the problems. Reset the pram/nvram via the four finger startup or open firmware as well to see if it helps.

I know my iPod with cause my Cube to restart immediately after shotdown if I leave it attached. It's the only one of Macs which has this problem, the DA and PB are fine.

I was thinking SCSI could be suspect, just because support for it is getting thin in general as 10.4 evolves. Would pull it too if possible for testing.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks guys, problem solved.

I now remember at the time of the 10.4.4 update replacing the original short G4 keyboard with a current G5 (white) keyboard. It has a very short USB cable so I plugged it into the USB hub on my Sony 21" monitor as the G4 tower sits on the floor.

This is where the problem started, however this may sound strange but at the time I then went back to trying the original G4 short keyboard and the rebooting problem still happened so go figure??

So today I pulled the G5 keyboard from the Sony hub and added a USB extension lead directly to the G4's USB port and problem solved!

Lightbulb

Glad you found the cause. Direct connect of k/b is always better (have to use an extension myself). Bad USB cables can probably cause lots of mischief, and the only way to fix if it is the mouse or k/b is a new unit.

My MDD OEM 9000 will do the same thing if I try to use DVI2VGA on ViewSonic VE800 LCD. Fine with ADC2VGA, or if I use a CRT. There is even a tech note 'warning' customers.