Thread: old memory

Question old memory

I still have my first computer, a 603e180 Power PC from the now defunct APS. I put hundreds Mbs of memory into it. Do those chips have resale value? I've kept the machine for sentimental reasons, but it's time to let it go.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Gurus sells 128MB sticks new for 38$ There's a guy on ebay with 10 128MB modules He is asking 10$ each he has sold one of them. So they have a value but not much.

Ebay for the ram if you want to move it quick. But you might put the whole computer here in the guru sales pages. Describe everything that's in it and sell it part by part or as a whole unit. Clones are interesting for a collector. I doubt you could sell the whole Mac on ebay because the shipping would cost more than the Mac.
    Damien,

Default re:old memory

Thanks, Damien. I'll post it on the sales pages next week.

Default even older now - info still valid?

I never followed up with plans to sell this computer, which is 5 years(!) older now. Does it still have the value it had as a collectible?

I doubt it now, but in another 5 years, who knows? Most machines of this vintage are long gone to the computer home in the sky.....so I have to wonder if some day folks will look around and notice how rare they have become.

Rare often = valuable.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Thanks, unclemac

It might come down to how I feel next weekend when the local recycle event takes place.

Kind of like giving away your cat..... you know that old computer is going to miss you.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default giving away the cat

Exactly! It was my first computer. Wondering if I have a system CD old enough to erase the drive securely.

LOL Rick that's really good!!!

I have to admit I still have my old SE30. When the hard drive died I hooked it up to an external drive. Still I have all this stuff I did years ago with OS 6.0.8 on a relational data base. It was so cool. I just started up the Mac IIci with all the stuff on it and it's still cool! But so out of date. Still haven't found a relational data base that works near as well, but I must say the iMac quad core i7,with SSD does make me think the old stuff . . . well like you said it'll miss me.