Thread: are power supplies interchangeable?

Default are power supplies interchangeable?

I think the power supply on my G4 is going south (shimmying monitor, erratic startup, etc). I also have a strawberry imac - would the power supply from it be usable in the G4?

Any help/hints greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Which G4 do you have? The iMac power supply won't fit in any G4s that I know of. But we could perhaps point you in the right direction for a PS that would work in your G4 if we know which model. k

No, the imac power supply will certainly not fit. As Kaye suggested, we need more info to see what/where/how to find a replacement. There are several different models of G4 towers, and the PS for each is a bit different.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

According to the back of the machine, it is a gigabit ethernet, 400 mhz tower. (It also says that the machine id is 406 in the Apply System Profiler) Is this the info you need or am I looking for something else? Excuse my ignorance - I just usually turn the dang thing on and it works so I have not done any real major surgery other than replacing the CD drive with a DVD-RW.
    Thanks.

Take a look at this Apple link. It should help (nice pics of the back). I am guessing if it is 400 MHz it is a PCI or AGP Graphics. Often the term "gigabit" on that sticker referred to ethernet speed but that version came in a 400 MHz but also had a CDRW/DVD-R stock. As Uncle said there are many PS choices and not to bad price wise. - Randy

Thanks, Randy. Based on what I know and see, I would say it is an AGP graphics. However, there are several model numbers listed in the chart - how do I figure out which one I have?

Quote Originally Posted by srbond
    I think the power supply on my G4 is going south (shimmying monitor, erratic startup, etc). I also have a strawberry imac - would the power supply from it be usable in the G4?

Any help/hints greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I don't think that the symptoms as you describe them are necessarily indicative of a failing PSU, though of course they might be (that's called "covering my ass"!).

"Shimmying monitor" and "errratic startup" are pretty vague terms; could you be more specific, please?

Since this is a GigE machine (if you have Gigabit ethernet, it must be), are you powering your monitor from the socket on the PSU at the back of the machine?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Good point Bigs.

a failed PS is not the most likely culprit, and one of the harder/more expensive to change out, so best to rule out other things first.

Always good to get details regardless, so chasing down the exact model is not a wasted effort.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

If you have a voltmeter, you can verify your PSU using the procedure detailed in the PowerMac_G4.pdf service manual which is a free download available at Whoopis.com
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

These are the symptoms: When I try to start up, the light comes on, the fan kicks on and nothing else happens. I then keep holding the power button until it powers off and try it again. Almost always, it will boot up fine the second time although I have had to do it three times. I have tried a different power cord from the computer to the wall socket and a different socket with the same results.

As far as the monitor is concerned, it is a sporadic problem. I can't tie it to anything specific. The only thing I know for sure is it doesn't happen until it has been on for at least 30 minutes or so.

As for the model number, I am still not sure where to go from here to determine what it is (for future reference if nothing else).

Thanks.

I just looked at the service manual and I see the exact symptoms in the Troubleshooting section - thanks! I will follow those instructions and hopefully get back to normal.

Thanks again - ya'll are lifesavers!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

When did you last replace your motherboard battery?
    Damien,

When did you last replace your motherboard battery?
    Very possible. - Randy

I replaced it about 2 months ago.