Thread: HP Printer Problems...

Default HP Printer Problems...

Time to put the great Gurus to the test once again. UncleMac and friends have really helped me out of some tight spots before, and I can't thank you all enough. Here's a new one...

A friend of mine has an HP All-in-one printer on his PMG4 (1GB RAM) computer. He can print sometimes, no problems, but others the print Que stops the jobs. He'll restart the jobs and then the printer will work fine for a print or two, then stop jobs again. The printer does the same thing with his PBG4 (1.5GB Ram). The ink is fine and there is paper in the machine.

1) What could be causing this issue? Is it likely a hardware, or software problem? How can we test to see which it is?

2) What kinds of things can we do to eliminate the problem?

I hope I gave enough specs, I basically gave you all I know. If you need more, then I'll have to call him and ask.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Printers. Yuck. Generally I like HP printers, but sometimes the software (at least for OS X) leaves something to be desired. Seems to vary widely by model.

Sounds like software. Check for udpates from HP..... It would help to know a little more: Printer model, exact version of the OS he is running, version of the HP software if available.

With that info we all could google a bit to see what others are reporting on that model. For some printers there are work-arounds or even another software option available from the grass roots project gimp/gutenprint.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

I would suggest doing a search on www.macintouch.com where they have a lot of good ideas, and HP gets mentioned a lot.

Drivers. GIMP. Deleting logs and cache folders. You'd be amazed how much gets left behind and how much disk space disappears from printers.
    Running Applejack and Disk Utility and fsck.

There is a program "Printer Repair Utility" - never used it or sure of its features, Lexmark laser has never given me a single problem so I haven't had to dig too deep.

Default HP Printer Problems...

Thanks unclemac and TZ. You guys always have great ideas. That's a good place to start. I'll have him check the hp site for driver updates first to see if that helps. If not, then we will Applejack the cache and read the macintouch boards, check gimp and repair permissions. What is fsck (mentioned by tz)?

I'll be in touch.

Jim

Default Thanks

Thanks TZ! I will check out that wealth of information.

Jim