Thread: Tiger won't shut down.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tiger won't shut down.

Lately I've noticed that my G5 dual processor tower is freezing when I shut it down. The desktop goes to the blue screen, but it remains blue and I have to manually shut down by holding the power button. I've also noticed it has been slow to start up. Most of the times it starts up if I wait long enough, but sometimes it hangs up during the startup process also. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this situation? I am running OS X Version 10.4.5.

Lightbulb

Go through all of the OS X Troubleshooting Tips and Maintenance.

Backup.
    Boot from your emergency boot drive.
    Run fsck whenever you do a hard restart like that.
    Run Applejack later once you are able to and able to safely install it.
    Deep clean all of the cache folders.
    So a Safe Boot.
    Reset NVRAM.
    Run Disk Warrior.
    Buy a new disk drive - "just in case" you need one so you have one handy.
    Add another FW drive + case so you have two backup sets.
    - Maxtor has some nice inexpensive PATA drives, 16MB cache in 200GB and up that do fine in FW. Maxline III, DM10 or 11.

You probably have a corrupt directory. Could have a disk drive with bad blocks. Could even have a RAM problem resulting in writing garbage to disk. Or even a problem with or conflict with extensions and drivers along with 3rd party background tasks.

Default Same problem

I had the same problem. I did everything Apple told me to do. The only thing that fixed it was a partition/ clean install. Then my new incarnation had the blower fans turn into an hvac system when it goes to sleep. I just don't let it go to sleep now so that problem is on hold

Default Also may want to check

have you added anything non-apple to the Firewire or the USB ports? Sometimes this causes the OS to not respond on the shutdown command... just a thought.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Hi Winnie,

Do you have SpeedTools on there perchance? I recall that I had to disable some of the features in that Suite to get Tiger to allow a shut down.