Thread: Question for M.Brane re: PT Free.

Default Question for M.Brane re: PT Free.

M.Brane, you used to be the main man for PT Free on the DUC until you got that there newfangled 001 thingy, so this should be right up your street.

I have a redundant B&W with a 500MHz Sonnet G4, and I'm going to set it up with OS9 and PT Free for a friend of mine. My install OS9 disc is the original OS9.nothing, so I can raise it to anything up to and including 9.2.2. OS9 will be on it's own drive, and no need for Classic. I'm thinking that I should only take it to 9.0.x. Am I right? As I recall, PTF uses PT5.0.1? What was stable for you?

biggles.
    Last edited by biggles; 03-22-2006 at 11:22 AM.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

PTF is just fine under any version of 9 in my experience. There is one problematic extension installed by the app. It's USB Superdisk something-or-other I think. I'm not at home at the moment, and it's not on the Pismo so I must have removed it. I think it's for Pace copy protection disks which obviously aren't needed with a free app.

It should rock on that B&W. The only real downside to PTF is the sound input options although there was a guy on the DUC using a VX Pocket to record into PTF at 24bit. The only options for the B&W are stock sound or USB since PCI is out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane
    The only options for the B&W are stock sound or USB since PCI is out of the question.
    I was planning on using the stock sound from a Mackie 1202. But tell me, why is PCI "out of the question"? Are you saying that PTF can't use input from a PCI audio card? I have no intention of using anything other than the B&W's two channels of analogue audio I/O, but just curious.

PTF can only use SoundManager on the Mac. Since many USB devices show up in the Sound control panel without additional drivers they work fine. I know of no device that requires it's own driver that will work with PTF including PT hardware.

Unfortunately that includes all PCI sound cards that I'm aware of.

The Windows PTF users however get to choose from a vast array of options. Of course the downside to that is the OS itself.

Default Progress Report.

Well, having thought that I'd never use OS 9 again, I am, and it's running fine.

The only things on the OS 9 drive are a fresh full install of 9.1 and Pro Tools Free.

The only added modification is a ground-loop isolation transformer in the Smurf's audio-out line going to the little Mackie mixer; without it, there is just too much noise when monitoring from the mixer. It's a cheapo unit made for car audio systems, cost 15, and it works well enough that I got another and used it to reduce the noise in my G5's audio-out which I run through a Digi002R and my studio monitor speakers. They don't eliminate all the noise but do get it down to an acceptable level.

I run the mic's audio-in to the Mac from a channel insert on the Mackie without interrupt to the Master, via a balanced cable. Thus I get zero-latency monitoring from the mixer when recording and a very clean signal in. For overdubbing and multi-tracking I use the Mac's audio-out to the tape input on the mixer, and for a little groovy ambience in the cans I'm using DVerb with the record-enabled track muted and it's DVerb send made pre-fader.

I've been having fun with this for a few days now with only one instance of "Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit", and that's with an unmodified full set of Extensions which includes the USBSuper DiskClassDriver and USBSuper DiskUTDriver. I'll leave them there for now, but if I start having problems then they'll be the first to go.

Good to see you're having fun.

Those extensions may not be problematic on the B&W. They were on my legacy Macs. I remember a couple threads over at the DUC with others having problems as well.

I never tried the transformer thing. I just grounded all the audio lines through my mixer so any current in the shield would flow away from the Mac's input. The tranny is probably safer though it will add some distortion. Sometimes tranny distortion is just the ticket for warming up cheap digital though.

You might try upping the memory allocation on DAE, and PTF. I also noticed that sometimes PTF freaks if you just quit without closing the session first (even if the session was just saved) or if you start tweaking plugs too fast during playback. It's almost like it can't think as fast as we can.

Default Ahh PT's Free......

Never used it as I had the Original Pro Tools Toolbox (back with PT's 4.3 w/Time Code nonetheless) which included the AMIII.

Although it shouldn't be a issue considering the speedier bus on the B&W, I used to run PT's (LE v5.0-5.1.1) on a stripped down OS 9.1 System Folder via a RAMDisk to get max (internal bus) SCSI-2 speeds on my XLR8_G3-9500. I really didn't need to go that route after I upgraded to a ATTO UL2D with 2x 18GB 10K Cheetah's but seeing this post triggered the memory that I had a pretty Slim Extension set on minimal System Folder for PT's.

Unfortuantly, when OS X came out I was still stuck with my "unsupported" 9500 workhorse, although XPostFacto allowed me to play with OS X, I decided to stay with the AMIII/PT's LE with OS 9.2.2.
    I just bought a used copy of Cubase SX (v1.03) from a colleague just a couple of months ago and with free access to my drummers' Firepod, I just saved a couple of hundred (for the MBoxII) to a couple of thousand (Digi002) of dollars for a "forced hardware upgrade" from Avid/Digi seeing as how they dropped support for the AMIII when Panther came out.
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Hey Bill good to see you posting here again. How's the band doin'?

I always ran very lean extension sets, and upped the memory. I had the occasional odd freeze, but that's to be expected with 9. All in all it was a decent app, and served me well. You really can't complain for the price. You just learn to hit save a lot, and keep current backups.

My 001 so far has been rock-solid with 5.1 in 9, and is even functional in Panther with 6.4. A dually 1.6 Giga, a little more RAM, and better video should do the trick. I really don't need any of the features of the 002/PTLE 7 so after that it's front-end upgrade time.

I sometimes laugh at the cluelessness of the "bleeding edge" guys on the DUC. If you wanna go that route you'd better be willing to shell out the bucks, and do your homework. Seeems like a lot of 'em want constant hand-holding. God help 'em if they ever had to troubleshoot an analog board or a tape machine.

My 001 so far has been rock-solid with 5.1 in 9, and is even functional in Panther with 6.4. A dually 1.6 Giga, a little more RAM, and better video should do the trick. I really don't need any of the features of the 002/PTLE 7 so after that it's front-end upgrade time.
    My 001 worked great with Panther, until it died! The PCI card failed, so I opted to go the Hardware-Exchange-Offer route to a 002; Digi were quite happy to take my dead 001 in exchange, and it opened up the possibility of moving to a G5.

The Smurf's got a GB of Crucial RAM in it so I might try the RAM disk idea for fun, but it really doesn't need it, and I'm setting this thing up for a friend who is clueless about Mac's and Pro Tools, so it needs to be kept very simple.

Hey Bill good to see you posting here again. How's the band doin'?
    Fault Lines fizzled, as our drummer graduated and moved to 'Frisco, but I've a new project, "The Uptown Healers".

Think of the songs 96 Tears and Double Shot of My Baby's Love, and that's the type of style it is. For those that aren't as old as me and (insert your name here____________________,
    It's almost "surfy", but with a Organ instead of guitar as Lead.
    Loads of fun so far. We're even cutting the demo via 8track Tascam 1/2" R-to-R to keep it "retro".

A dually 1.6 Giga, a little more RAM, and better video should do the trick. I really don't need any of the features of the 002/PTLE 7 so after that it's front-end upgrade time.

I sometimes laugh at the cluelessness of the "bleeding edge" guys on the DUC. If you wanna go that route you'd better be willing to shell out the bucks, and do your homework. Seeems like a lot of 'em want constant hand-holding. God help 'em if they ever had to troubleshoot an analog board or a tape machine.
    I'm in the same boat as far as upgrades go.
    After Digi started bundling all that "Samplitude", "Reason-Adapted" type-software..
    IMO,
    .. it seemed that the DUC was becoming more of a "I want to be (e.g.-) Beck without knowing the first thing about playing a instrument forum" than (e.g.-) "How can I tastefully record 27 tracks with only 10-inputs??"-forum.

Plus, I dislike the idea of being relegated to the "Discontinued______"-Forums.

Biggles,
    cool deal about the trade-up. IIRC, trying that with the AMIII with ANY 002LE item only nets me about $45.00 off MSRP.
    IMO, that's not worth my time. I have PT's, albeit outdated and I still think it'll rule the roost 'til I die, but Digi and Apple have on thing in common that I dislike, "forced hardware" - upgrades.
    I'm glad XPostFacto got me on the OS X wagon so I could dive right into production when I got my Frankenmac up and running, but the initial price isn't in my budget.
    My main gig is Live Sound, the DAW stuff is more about "bartering client loyalty" than turning a buck.
    Sure it'd be nice to charge $65.00 per hour, but as my pappy told me "
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions
    " and I'd like to make it as smooth as possible.
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Drummers.

(Fortunately my best friend, and partner in musical crime doesn't hang here although he also plays guitar, keys, and bass as well as being a kickass songwriter so I forgive him the drumming part.)

He'd laugh at that comment anyway.

Working on analog is so much more liberating in some ways isn't it? It forces you to commit to mix decisions during tracking which is a good thing IMHO. Post a link when you get some mixes done. I'd like to hear it.

The stuff we've been working on is jazz based, but with a big rock middle finger thrown in for good measure. Definately not mainstream by any stretch. Think AIC meets Vince Guaraldi.

I kind of enjoy stirring the pot a bit over at the DUC. There seem to be quite a few other bottom feeders there who pop up from time to time. Of course those who are busy actually making music don't post as much as those who are still trying to figure out how to do it.