Thread: Poll: Best card for Digital Audio...

Question Poll: Best card for Digital Audio...

I have an OLD nVidia GeForce2 MX 64MB AGP in my Frankenmac Digital Audio (533) that has no Wow factor running Tiger.
    I can't remember a GeForce2 MX with 64MB with VGA_out_ONLY ever being released for AGP Macs so there's a high probability that it's flashed.
    I don't mind using a flashed Video card, but in YOUR opinion:

Flashed nVidia's and ATI's???
    or
    "built for mac" nVidia's and ATI's???

What's the better option for a 4x AGP DA?

that got you thinking didn't it?
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Default Concensus is...

a little birdie tells me a Flashed 9800 Pro (no modifications) is the way to go(not that I endorse)... www.strangedogs.com / forums

You can go with a silent 9600 card as well (www.macsales.com / Clearance)
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Ditto.

Did that thing with the help of a strangedog on a new, real ATi 9800 in my 466 DA, and it was great. Then I killed it.

A real Mac version would be easier for sure, but considering I was able to find a genuine ATi PC verson for about $160 brand new, it was too tempting.

BTW, I still have a like-new aftermarket fan you might be interested in if you go for a 9800. Very quiet and well made. Check out my project here. I have this one.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Arctic-Cooling

Unc,

If Bill does not go with a 9800 and your fan assembly, I would like to purchase. Currently have a 9800 in a PC which grinds a bit on startup, someday it will be replaced with a stronger card, but for today... might be a good cooling upgrade.

Will see what Bill wants to do.

Robert

PS. how did you kill the Mac card?

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac
    Ditto.

Did that thing with the help of a strangedog on a new, real ATi 9800 in my 466 DA, and it was great. Then I killed it.

A real Mac version would be easier for sure, but considering I was able to find a genuine ATi PC verson for about $160 brand new, it was too tempting.

BTW, I still have a like-new aftermarket fan you might be interested in if you go for a 9800. Very quiet and well made. Check out my project here. I have this one.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Default Bone head move...

Nothing as glamorus as overclocking or the like. I was doing something unrelated and slipped..... and smashed a screwdriver tip into the circuit board.

Still works, but screen artifacts. Not too bad on the desktop, but basically unusable for 3d games. Ususally very careful, in fact this is the first thing I have killed from damage....ever.

Replaced with a nice almost-as-good Nvidia 4ti, but the cooler does not fit.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rguising
    a little birdie tells me a Flashed 9800 Pro (no modifications) is the way to go(not that I endorse)... www.strangedogs.com / forums
    WoW!!!

Excellent site rg, thanx!!!
    As far as "bang for the buck" goes, flashing definetly is the way to go!
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscious state"

Partybymarty is *the* man over there. Flashed two cards for me (the 9800 and a 64 meg 7000 PCI for a BW) and both were perfect and reasonable cost. Two thumbs up.

Got a 9600 from that Other Worthy Competitor for my DA. Not bad for the money, but it's not 100% bulletproof compatible. It does most everything I need.

I also picked up a flashed BFG nVIDIA 6200 OC from one of the STrangedogs [sic] for my wife's Cube. It kicks major butt in the DA, and stomps all over that 9600! But it won't do display sleep. Apparently this is still a work in progress.

A flashed 6600GT might be the best bet, but they too are a work in progress.

Default Overclock your ATI card (if you dare.....)

I've been using ATIccellerator II on my ATI 9800 (128Mb) for about 6 months now.

As long as I don't go over 11% GPU and Vram overclock, I don't get artifacts in my games, and get good performance from it in general.

Be warned: This is a "use at your own risk" OS X Utility.

You can decide for yourselves.......

http://thomas.perrier.name/software/ATIccelerator.html

This page also offers a flashing utility, ATIccelerator is a link on the right.

Kevin