Thread: Can FireWire drive be saved?

Default Can FireWire drive be saved?

I have a 400GB external FireWire 800 drive by OWC. It crashed - dead. Disk utility either doesn't see it at all, or it comes up with some wierd name, but doesn't see the volume. Rick mentioned that when a FireWire drive appears to crash, it's often not the drive itself, rather it's the bus or casing that's the problem. This was mostly a backup drive, but I did have a few things on it that I don't have a copy of and would like to recover (plus I'd like to use the drive if it can be saved). Any thoughts about how to test the problem?

Welcome.

You could remove the drive from the case, and try it on an ATA bus if you're comfortable doing that kind of thing.

I assume you've already tried the easy/cheap fixes like a different cable/port or even another Mac.

Right. And don't forget that it has a warranty regardless of the brand of case or OWC. If it is dead, hunt up the maker's site.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Firewire Troubleshooting

Unplug everything. Mac, FW cable, no power going to either for 15 minutes and see if that helps. Also try Disk Warrior afterwards.

Default Thank you!!

I hadn't thought of all the easy things. Since I didn't have another FireWire 800 cable, I wasn't sure what to do. But when I looked at the drive more carefully, I realized that it also had FireWire 400 connections. I shut off and unplugged everything for 15 minutes, then reconnected it using a FireWire 400 port. It can up perfectly, and I was able to copy the missing files.

I should have been able to figure this one out for myself, but sometimes I miss the obvious - thanks for pointing it out. This is also the last time I'll make the mistake of putting working files on a back up drive!!

Talking

Here comes 'Johnny come lately"...

In any case, one should not rely on just FW or USB for an ext. backup...

It's good to have a combination. When one of my 2.5 ext. drives with a FW connect went South, I bought a dual enclosure, removed the HD from the old unit and... Bingo! The HD was back & humming. No lost files. Now, on that very replacement, no more FW... USB still performing fine.

It seems that some FW chips just aren't made to last.