Thread: 250 GB SATA Issue... DiskUtil says "Invalid Node" Diskwarrior says: "Cannot Rebuild"

Default 250 GB SATA Issue... DiskUtil says "Invalid Node" Diskwarrior says: "Cannot Rebuild"

Would be grateful to get some direction if you can help.

The Problem:

One of my SATA disks is not mounting and Disk Utility seems to be able to repair it (see log below), although it still will not mount. Disk Warrior cannot rebuild it.

The Setup:

G4 400Mhz
    4 Bay External SATA Enclosure
    1 SATA 250GB ("UNO")
    1 SATA 400GB ("DOS")
    Firmtek 4 port card
    OSX 10.3.9

Red Flags:

One internal EIDE drive has needed several disk repairs recently and data from the EIDE disk was transferred to the 250 GB SATA disk in question before it stopped working.

Also, I have been repeatedly abusing this disk by packing it with data and then deleting 30GBs at a time.. *cough* P2P *cough*

The Logs:

DiskWarrior Log

"The directory of the disk "Unknown Disk" connot be rebuilt. The originaldirectory is too severely damaged. The disk was not modified."

Disk Utility Log

"Repairing disk for “disk2s3”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Invalid node structure
    Repairing volume.
    Rechecking volume.
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Invalid node structure
    Repairing volume.
    The volume UNO was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes <--Makes no sense because there's only 1 volume, I think..
    1 HFS volume repaired
    1 volume could not be repaired

Welcome.

I ran into the node issue once on one of my drives. I had to re-initialize it to get it back, and it's been fine since.

Have you done a thorough RAM test to eliminate that as a possible source of file corruption?

Isn't that a feature of TechToolPro? How would you recommend performing a thorough RAM test?

Lightbulb

Memtest for memory.

I have too much trouble with DW so I don't even recommend it anymore with 10.4.4/10.4.5.

ATA drive - you might get more life out of it by a zero-all or even 7-way pass write, but probably want to use it for backup and archive and not use it regularly.

Always keep 20% free space. I would never recommend P2P unless BitTorrent for some linux distro, and then use a "spare" scratch disk. Otherwise, I block all P2P.

Probably worth having TTP (4.11) around for disk repairs, but I find 10.4.5 Disk Utility quite good, and when needed, Applejack and fsck for the boot volume. And always have bootable backups and two backup sets.

SATA cables and power connectors? Someone mentioned their problems were from using the molex(?) to SATA power adapter.

As a TechTool Pro user I second TZ's suggestion of Memtest. TechTool has never done me wrong, but it's memory test is somewhat lacking. You also can't test as much RAM when the GUI is active. Memtest runs in SUM. It's slow, but thorough.

The node issue happened when I was screwing around with installing Panther on my Beige G3. I chalked it up to all those hard restarts I was doing.

Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone! Looks like it's gonna be another long weekend in the "surgery room"..

memtest seems to work good, and can take 3 or 4 to several hours each test so follow M.Brane's info or boot intro single user mode. A easy Google search memtest but you might have to test RAM chips 1 or 2 at a time pulling and testing. Verify the bad RAM chip and RAM slots.

Take a look at this Google search. - Randy