Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Audio Popping noises

There are programs to check for corrupt plists (Applejack and Preferential to name two). RAM can be the source of the corruption though, once you rule out PSU and all the hardware possible issues - as well as Apple OS and firmware updates. I think CHUD either caused or cured an audio issue in some cases.... rather infinite number of possibilities

That's basically what I ended up doing. I copied my Documents folder, Music folder, and some preference files to an external drive. Then I created a new user account and moved the files back. Then I tested things to make sure it worked.

When you delete a user you can create a dmg file that contains the user data and files. I did this and then dragged it to an external drive just in case. This wasn't as bad as I feared. I just hadn't done it before and was very worried that I would overlook something.

At any rate, 1) problem solved, 2) I am going to move my user stuff (thanks for the link, Randy!, 3) I am going to learn more about the user stuff in OSX

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Nathan

They're baaaaaaaack........

It seems to have started when I opened up Entourage. Everytime I do an action in Entourage or when Office Notifications opens up there is quite a bit of popping.

I did move some preferences from the old account such as Safari bookmarks, Quicken preferences, and so on, so I could have moved a corrupt file in doing that. However, there were no pops until I reinstalled Office.

Suggestions???

Nathan

Lose Office?

Seriously there are alternatives. I wonder what the hell it's doing that's screwing with audio-related stuff?

I have no M$ on my Mac. I sometimes get a very small "drop-out" or "skip" in iTunes when loading a web page full of crap, or doing something that makes the HDDs work hard. I've never had the "popping" issue that seems to be common with USB.

I am scratching my head good here. I'll dig around. - Randy

I think about going to Apple's office stuff quite frequently. I am concerned about moving back and forth between Pages and Word (the school district that I work for are stuck on the Winblows boxes and use Office).

What are the spreadsheet alternatives?

In the mean time, I may move to Apple's Mail, Address Book and Calendar, remove Entourage, and see if I still have the problems with just Word, Excel, and PP.

Randy, if you find or think of anything let me know. I really appreciate all of the help you guys have given to my many questions.

Nathan

I'm not real hip on the office related apps. Open Office comes to mind, but I know there are others. I do have Office '98 on my 9600, but it doesn't see much use. When that was my audio Mac it wasn't allowed. Too many arrogant extensions. I always liked how if you accidentally opened a Word doc, and Office was anywhere on the machine it would automatically start installing all it's crap. That's the primary reason it was banished. I guess they thought that was helpful. Not.

Unfortunately it seems Windows is the dominant platform in education these days. Apple really blew that one.

Don't overlook Thunderbird for mail. I'm considering trying it out myself with the recent issues surrounding Mail.